Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How Many Change Your Own Oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2007, 02:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question How Many Change Your Own Oil?

I haven't changed my own oil in many years. With the expense of full synthetic oil in my PT GT, I'm tempted to go back to doing it myself.

How many of you change your own oil? Any difficulties doing it on a PT GT? Easy enough to get to the drain plug and oil filter?
Curious,
Bill
Old 08 Jul 2007, 05:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: How Many Change Your Own Oil?

Buy the oil and filter yourself at Wal-Mart and have them change it. Costs like $12 for the labor. I use Mobil1 Full synthetic and the $10 Fram filter. Total out the door cost is like $50.

Whenever considering DIY always pay yourself a reasonable rate of say $20/hr. $12 is cheap IMO. Be sure to specify that you only want the oil changed otherwise they will charge you like an extra $6 to fill your wiper fluid with that crap fluid they use.
Old 08 Jul 2007, 06:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Great idea giantrobot! I didn't know that Wally World would do that. I'll have to check locally to see if they'll do that. I wonder if the Jiffy Lube will do the same thing? They're much closer to me.
Thanks!
Bill
Old 08 Jul 2007, 11:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

I change my own - Mobil 1 and a K&N filter every 3000 miles, like clockwork. A set of Rhino ramps and the fact that the PT is FWD makes getting the front end up in the air a snap. You can very easily crawl up the ramps at a very slow speed and the Rhino ramps have a nice dip and lip that make it very clear you have reached the top. Super easy.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 07:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hmmm...at my age and stage, ramps might be a very good idea SR-PT4!

I guess I could go look but I'm assuming the oil filter is no problem to get at?
Thanks!
Bill
Old 09 Jul 2007, 07:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

I go to Mobil every 6000 miles and have them do a Mobil1 oil change and
Mobil1 filter. $ 79.00 includes that little screwy filter you have to change. I forget what you call it. I have a K & N air filter, so I never have to change that.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Rhino ramps - they're plastic, but hold like 4 tons - they have the right profile for the PT - the metal ramps I had would hit the body - too steep an angle.
Rhino ramps are about $20. The drain plug and filter are very close and easy to get at. 13mm dran plug, I use a strap wrench on the filter. I use Mobil 1 (5-quart jugs from WalMart) and Mobil 1 oil filters (AdvanceAuto). Takes 15 minutes, withclean-up. 5,000 miles. I pour thr used oil back into the jug and tale it back to WalMart to recycle.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jul 2007, 10:30 am
Regular Cruiser

I use the plastic composite "Rhino Ramps" ($20.00 at Pep Boys), and change mine every 3000 to 3500 miles with a K&N oil filter & 5w30 Royal Purple Synthetic oil. I like the K&N filter because it has a 1" nut welded on the end, (very easy off and on), so you don't need any strap or special oil filter wrenches, and they are a high flow top quality heavy duty construction and filter media designed for both Dino & Synthetic oils.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 11 Jul 2007, 07:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CFS

I change my own oil, I have no problems. I like to use castroil syntec and i love it.
-LoAdEd!!!!
----------------------Current-ADD-ON's---------------
-Air Raid CAI Quick Fit Series 300138: cool:
-Mopar Blow-Off Valve
-MOPAR boost guage
--------------------FUTURE-ADD-ON's-----------------
-MOPAR stage 1 Upgrade
-Propod three guage pod
Old 11 Jul 2007, 12:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Are any of you who use the rhino ramps lowered? My car is lowered 2" all around and my old ramps were too steep to use. I would like to try the rhino ramps if they work with a lowered car.

Tell me how low you are and which ramps you use.

Thanks,

Brian