Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Upper charge pipe SENSOR BLOW OUT!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2007, 12:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Upper charge pipe SENSOR BLOW OUT!!!!

Just wanted to know if this has ever happened to any of you. A few days ago I noticed my GT was stumbling alittle if I let if fall from a high rpm to idle. I usually drive pretty conservatively as I live close to where I work so it wasn't really a problem at the time. That night I took it out for a drive to figure out what was going on. As I started to build boost it leveled off at 10psi I usually run 15 or 16 psi so I figured no biggie just a boost leak find where it is and fix it. When I opened the hood the sensor in the upper charge pipe the one with a blue end I believe is a MAF or air temp sensor had blow out and was sitting on top of my intake manifold!! I had just replaced my intake manifold a month ago and had to remove that during the install so I thought maybe I just didn't get it in tight enough. So I put it back in and went on my way again however the next day I was pushing it hard again and it came out again!! I haven't had any problems since but both of those days it was REALLY hot is it possible that this had something to do with it as I noticed that it didn't want stay when it was hot and on cold days it's practically sealed in! I was thinking about putting a very very small amount of silicon on the outside of the rubber grommet for warm days. Has this happened to anyone else and if it has what did you do??
Mopar Stage 1 upgrade, Mopar BOV Conversion, AEM CAI, High Flow Haynes Plastic Intake Manifold, MSD High Voltage Ignition Coil Pack, MagnaCore Spark Plug Wires, AutoMeter Boost Gauge, Greddy Oil Catch Can, Hurst STS... Plus a much longer wish list

I DO ALL MY OWN WORK!!
Old 14 Jul 2007, 12:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Upper charge pipe SENSOR BLOW OUT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold GT View Post
Just wanted to know if this has ever happened to any of you. A few days ago I noticed my GT was stumbling alittle if I let if fall from a high rpm to idle. I usually drive pretty conservatively as I live close to where I work so it wasn't really a problem at the time. That night I took it out for a drive to figure out what was going on. As I started to build boost it leveled off at 10psi I usually run 15 or 16 psi so I figured no biggie just a boost leak find where it is and fix it. When I opened the hood the sensor in the upper charge pipe the one with a blue end I believe is a MAF or air temp sensor had blow out and was sitting on top of my intake manifold!! I had just replaced my intake manifold a month ago and had to remove that during the install so I thought maybe I just didn't get it in tight enough. So I put it back in and went on my way again however the next day I was pushing it hard again and it came out again!! I haven't had any problems since but both of those days it was REALLY hot is it possible that this had something to do with it as I noticed that it didn't want stay when it was hot and on cold days it's practically sealed in! I was thinking about putting a very very small amount of silicon on the outside of the rubber grommet for warm days. Has this happened to anyone else and if it has what did you do??
No MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor on our cars, we use a Speed Density fuel injection that uses a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. You are probably working with the IAT sensor ( Intake Air Temp).

I wouldn't use anything on it but clean the connector and the rubber really well with alcohol to see if that holds it. If you do decide to use some sealant on it get it at an auto parts store and make sure you get one that says "Sensor Safe" on it. Use very sparingly.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come

Last edited by Cal Cruzer; 23 Jul 2007 at 05:48 pm. Reason: reread post
Old 14 Jul 2007, 12:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to apexanimal

put the grommet in upside down = large side in the pipe, not out of it. this will hold.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 12:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
put the grommet in upside down = large side in the pipe, not out of it. this will hold.
Wow, I thought I was the only one who knew this little trick. It works great, especially on an aftermarket ucp.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 14 Jul 2007, 09:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info esp. the sensor name good to know still kinda learning my PT, had Japanese for way to long. I knew you guys would have the answer headed out right now to fix. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
Mopar Stage 1 upgrade, Mopar BOV Conversion, AEM CAI, High Flow Haynes Plastic Intake Manifold, MSD High Voltage Ignition Coil Pack, MagnaCore Spark Plug Wires, AutoMeter Boost Gauge, Greddy Oil Catch Can, Hurst STS... Plus a much longer wish list

I DO ALL MY OWN WORK!!
Old 19 Jul 2007, 02:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to apexanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Wow, I thought I was the only one who knew this little trick. It works great, especially on an aftermarket ucp.
indeed
Old 19 Jul 2007, 06:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
indeed
Leave it to the Crew folks to know what's what.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Aug 2007, 04:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Leave it to the Crew folks to know what's what.
WoW, back in the day, that was part of a dirty word
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 04 Sep 2007, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i used a dab of superglue on the gromet...issue solved
Old 04 Sep 2007, 11:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Just an update flipping the sensor over worked perfectly!

I DO ALL MY OWN WORK!!