PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Factory air intake box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2003, 12:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Factory air intake box

Please can some explain how to remove all the unneeded stuff inside the factory air intake box.
Old 06 Jul 2003, 03:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ah, now I see what you were trying to say in the other post.

Pull the top off of the air box. You will see a big white donut in there where the air goes to the turbo. Take that out. Then pull up on the bottom of the airbox and remove it from the car. You can remove the snorkle from the front of the box that restricts that air intake there. It is pretty intuitive so when you see it you will know what I mean.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 06 Jul 2003, 04:42 pm
Administrator

Welcome to the Forums, Marvin.

Ian-PT-GT's Stock Air Box Mod Guide:

1. Unscrew the air tube brace and pull it out from the air box.

2. Pull out the PCV tube located on the left side of the air box.

3. Pull up the entire air box; a little tilting would make it easier to be removed. this item is held by two rubber grommets in the bottom of the box. This is done like this because is the only way you can remove the battery.

4. Now that it is outside it is very easy to work with it, open the air box and remove the air filter. You will see the two silencers, one in the box cover (white) and the other one on the bottom of the box.

5. Remove the lower silencer. The screwdriver will help you here, insert the screwdriver between the silencer and the edge of the box right in front of the gap where the silencer holds the box apply pressure on the silencer and it will unclip in one side, turn around the unit and do the same on the other side. After this is done you can pull out the unit out of the box.

6. The top silencer removal is simple. Use the same screwdriver to jam it between the silencer and the corner of the air box in order to let the little plastic tab in the silencer to slide down without breaking.

7. Install the filter back, close the air box and install the air box in the reverse way that it was removed (steps 3,2,1)

The first photo shows the location of the pieces in Steps 1-2-3 above. The second pic shows the two silencers after being removed...

Old 06 Jul 2003, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your help here. Didn't want to break anything. Does seem to make a difference.
Old 07 Jul 2003, 12:02 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Ian-PT-GT's Stock Air Box Mod Guide:...
Will this modification void the warranty and do you need to put everything back in place before taking your car in for service?
Old 07 Jul 2003, 12:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ZZCruzr

My understanding is that nothing done to (1) the air intake (2) the exhaust sytem BEYOND the cat and (3) the oil (as long as within the minimum lube guidelines) will "void the warrany". I'll let you know though, tomorrow I'm taking mine in for an oil change at 2650 miles...I'm leaving the BTG duals and the AMX cold air intake on the car. I'll post tomorrow! I want to hear also what the Service Manager of this 5-Star dealership has to say about the Stage 1 warrany as far as THEIR interpretation is.
Black Clearcoat 2003 Turbo GT w/gray leather interior...rear splash guards, stainless door sills, air bag decals, red painted brake calipers, BTG duals, AMX cold air intake, Blaine hood struts, ZZcruZr third brake light diffuser, AutoVation pedals, MoMo F16 Evo red gearshift.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 10:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

Thanks for the guide, Jody, knocked mine right out after viewing it.

Old 19 Nov 2003, 11:33 pm
Administrator

Welcome Rolo! Thank Ian! He wrote it![|)]
Old 20 Nov 2003, 01:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

Roger that!

I just removed the upper baffle. I kept the snorkel to keep cooler air coming. I will just mask the holes with electrical tape. I am pondering a means to fill in the holes to create a smooth chamber, alleviating turbulence. Any ideas?

Old 20 Nov 2003, 02:17 am
Senior Cruiser

I guess I am not real handy but I broke the tab on the white silencer and killed the snorkle trying to get it out too! Really didn't hurt anything exept I dont think either piece will ever fit back into the airbox. Oh well I gave the airbox away !!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.