Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What type turbo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2007, 09:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default What type turbo?

This is really strange but after reading some other posts and seeing different pics, how can I tell what type turbo my 07 has? I know there is the H.O. turbo vs turbo "lite" on 06 and earlier, they also have a "HIGH OUTPUT" badge under the 2.4 liter badge. My 07 has a totally different looking 2.4Liter badge and no H.O. badging. Is there a chance Chrysler just decided to throw the H.O. into all the 07's? I know it's not going to be available in the 08 model. Can I check my VIN to find out? Any thought would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 02:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: What type turbo?

From 2004 on all GTs are high output.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 11 Nov 2007, 06:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Easiest way to tell is to open the gas door and see if there is a warning that 91 octane is recommended. If not, you can use regular (87 octane) gas and you have a turbo "lite".

There is no difference at all in the turbo parts between "High Output" and "Lite", it's just the computer programming which allows you to use the lower octane fuel and results in the lower 184? horsepower. This is why people who have installed the mopar stage 1 chip can become "High Output" PT's, and then must use premium fuel.

srg
Old 14 Nov 2007, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To put in my 2 cents...

In 2007 Chrysler changed the badging for the PTs for the first time resulting in:

-The two front doors no longer say 'PT Cruiser' on them... this is now onthe lower left rear (liftgate)

-The 'Edition' badging (which USED TO be on the lower left rear...) -- I think this is on the lower right rear now ... and I think they've dropped the words 'edition' (maybe only for 2008)

-GTs for 2007 have a badge that should be 'GT 2.4T' which is the 'High Output Turbo' ---- The Turbo 'lite' comes on turbo equipped 'Touring Edition' models I believe (and I think for 2008 they have a new model designation ... 'Limited' which is standard Turbo-lite only)

Sorry if that's too much information or not helpful.

~Robert
Old 14 Nov 2007, 10:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. Clears things up for me.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07GTDriver View Post
Thanks for the replies. Clears things up for me.
But not for me... What do you have? If you have a GT, you have the High Output turbo - period.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles