Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
no PT at Carlisle for me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2003, 05:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default no PT at Carlisle for me

I went to fill get gas today in the PT and as soon as i started to pump, gas was on the ground. I looked under the car and gas was spilling out. So I drove back home and put it up on the ramps. Come to find out, the gas tank has a hole in it. The neck where the filler tube attaches to the tank is cracked and the vent tube is pinched/kinked. The gas tank is on a 2 week national back order from the dealer $450. There are 42 people in front of me waiting. I called a salvage yard that found one a few states away. It was still in the car and had to be cleaned out & tested. Outside chance it could arrive tomorrow but most likely on Monday. Dropping the tank looks like a no brainer. What precautions do i need to take for R&R the fuel pump besides disconnecting battery. Also, the gas line vent tube has a connector I do not know how to unhook/remove. It's the same connector as the gas line running from the firewall to the fuel rail. Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.
Me and my crew will still be there in our hoopdy mobile
a '95 Dodge Avenger. Wonder if I'll have to park in a empty corner LMAO!
We paid for a hotel room for Sat night and dinner for 4 with the PTOC.
BTW- Mon night on my way home from work I ran over a truck tire tread tthat got kicked out from another car in the next lane. All I could do was hold on and close my eyes.[B)] It DID NOT make much noise and I was more worried about the intercooler. It just left a little black mark on the lower fascia. The end result was stealth damage Sorry this is so long but I've been So looking forward to this all year long...
Thanks,
KB with no PTGT in PA
Old 10 Jul 2003, 07:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Sorry Kevin/Donna you can hang by my electric blue if you like !
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 10 Jul 2003, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Kevin,

Don't have a GT, and wish Sci-Fi or MX-5 would see this post to answer your questions, but I just looked at my gas line and mine has the black plastic connector at the firewall and fuel rail also. It has a slot on the side and a white plastic piece on the end. Looks like you push into the slot and pull the tab out at the end (two hand job?) which would release the connector. I saw them drop my tank when the recall for the 2001 model needed an extra thick O ring to fix a roll-over problem. They didn't drop the tank the whole way to reach the fuel pump but it came down pretty easy...as you said looks like a no brainer. The good part is that you didn't get a lot of gas into it before you stopped pumping and if you have a hole, maybe you can siphon even more out before pulling the tank. Good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jul 2003, 09:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

so that's why they're on back order. I forgot about the recall. I guess I better find out what year this used tank is outa. The O~ring was to goo around the fuel pump? I agree with the fuel line clip, def a two hand job. Opps, did i say two hand job? naa... Jeff, I'll still bring the hoses. Actually I just found some blue hose techniques hose for ya!
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 10 Jul 2003, 09:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't bring hoses Kevin...I just redid mine yesterday with a new kit from Hose techniques . It's all 1 color now ! Sorry about your gas tank problem ! Any word on the wheels/tires? I'm bringing them anyway hopefully I'll sell them !
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 14 Jul 2003, 06:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, salvage yard tank is in and all seems aOk. Hardest part was getting the old one out 'cause of the gas in it. No way to syphon I think because of a backflow type valve. Tank was outa a '03 and came complete with all hoses and elec connections for $175. Beats the HELL outa what the stealer wanted and no waiting for backorder.
2.5 hrs R&R and that's because I'm a NUMSKULL at these things, but it'all a learning experience. It's a full tank now, so we'll see how it goes. I'm sure I didn't get to speak to some folks at Carlisle because they were looking for a Elec Blu GT instead of a Grey Dodge Avenger but **** happens, eh?
COME ON CTF4!
Peace out![?]
KB

FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 14 Jul 2003, 10:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Dang, Kevin, I am really sorry to hear your bad luck streak did not end with the calipers. I mean, first the rodent chews your hoses, then the brakes jam, now this...

You should start playing the big game 'cuz when your luck changes you are DUE!

[8)]
Old 15 Jul 2003, 04:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Figured all must have gone ok...no call . Hoping your bad luck string is @ it's freakin' end ! Drive the cruiser ,now and enjoy ! Thanks again for the extra hoses .
Old 15 Jul 2003, 08:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jeff V

Dang, Kevin, I am really sorry to hear your bad luck streak did not end with the calipers. I mean, first the rodent chews your hoses, then the brakes jam, now this...

You should start playing the big game 'cuz when your luck changes you are DUE!

[8)]
Hey Jeff V.
If it wasn't for bad luck....[8]
I'm just glad no body gets hurt during these fiasco's[B)]
and I didn't get to show off my new grill mod & strobes...