Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 Cruiser overcooling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2008, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Cruiser overcooling?

Dang it. Lost my old account info. Anyway, you guys helped me with a leaking manifold gasket a while back, so I'm begging for help again...

I have an 03 GT Cruiser. This AM as I was driving to work, I noticed that the temp gauge was sitting on "C". This was 30 minutes into my commute, and it's usually up to the middle bar after a few minutes. Granted, it was chilly for Texas today, but it was only 30 or so degrees...not like I was in Minnesota or anything! Anyway, the heater was blowing nice warm air, and the car was running fine so I went on in to work.

When I left today, same thing on the way home. However, when I'm sitting at a red light, it will start to creep up to normal. My check engine light is on (and has been for some silly power steering pump sensor that I haven't fixed yet), but I pulled the code "0129" (in addition to the PS sensor code that's been there). The car seems a little sluggish now, but that may be my imagination.

Any brilliant ideas?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Cruiser overcooling?

Found this on a search.....

I have a 2003 GT PT. I went to start the car this evening and the check engine light came on. The fault code is P0129, someone on a forum said this is due to barometric pressure? What's happening, is this issue something I need to address immediately? - Joe, from New Jersey.

P0129 - Barometric Pressure Out-of-Range low

Description - MAP sensor input voltage out of an acceptable range detected during reading of barometric pressure.

There are 11 possible causes listed in the diagnostic manual. It covers 3 pages of tests to determine the cause. I've replaced several MAP sensors. It's most likely a defect in the sensor. It's something that should be fixed ASAP.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 02:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i would say map sensor also
Old 18 Jan 2008, 02:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer321 View Post
Dang it. Lost my old account info. Anyway, you guys helped me with a leaking manifold gasket a while back, so I'm begging for help again...

I have an 03 GT Cruiser. This AM as I was driving to work, I noticed that the temp gauge was sitting on "C". This was 30 minutes into my commute, and it's usually up to the middle bar after a few minutes. Granted, it was chilly for Texas today, but it was only 30 or so degrees...not like I was in Minnesota or anything! Anyway, the heater was blowing nice warm air, and the car was running fine so I went on in to work.

When I left today, same thing on the way home. However, when I'm sitting at a red light, it will start to creep up to normal. My check engine light is on (and has been for some silly power steering pump sensor that I haven't fixed yet), but I pulled the code "0129" (in addition to the PS sensor code that's been there). The car seems a little sluggish now, but that may be my imagination.

Any brilliant ideas?
For you temp gauge problem It sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, there have been quit a few of those posted on the different PT forums in the past few weeks, it starts to warm up at a stop because there is no air flowing through the radiator, then when you start moving again it will cool back down.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 18 Jan 2008, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream4 View Post
For you temp gauge problem It sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, there have been quit a few of those posted on the different PT forums in the past few weeks, it starts to warm up at a stop because there is no air flowing through the radiator, then when you start moving again it will cool back down.
Agree - 2 separate problems. I'm surprised you got heat.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Jan 2008, 11:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 2001 PT did the same exact thing. One day it just didn't warm up. Changed the thermostat and radiator cap and replaced the coolant, all problems solved. I have excellent heat and my car warms up in just a few minutes again. Your symptoms are exactly as mine and a new thermostat and radiator cap was the ticket for me. Plan on around 20 bucks for everything you need in parts, 300 bucks if you take it to your dealer.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It was the thermostat. Broken and stuck open. My mobile mechanic came out, replaced it and the cap, flush and fill, and cleared my codes for the bargain price of $120. I love my mechanic.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 11:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer321 View Post

Any brilliant ideas?
your 0129 code is a fault code in the pcm. there is a TSB for this exact issue. my dealer flashed the pcm for no charge. this is the stock ecu correct? also where in jersey are you? I'd have no problem helping you change out the thermostat. i'm in toms river.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 11:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggert_LOA View Post
your 0129 code is a fault code in the pcm. there is a TSB for this exact issue. my dealer flashed the pcm for no charge. this is the stock ecu correct? also where in jersey are you? I'd have no problem helping you change out the thermostat. i'm in toms river.
Well, that's really sweet of you. But I'm in Texas. (and I've already had it done...)

Thanks though!