Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

trouble code

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2003, 06:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default trouble code

Hi all,

my trouble code P1188 is back again, anybody know how to reset/clear it since the dealer is going to do the same if I bring the car to them. The last time I was there, they mentioned DC tech support suggested replacing the turbocharge unit if no fault can be found. Thier mechanic seems reluctant in doing so as he said why replaced a $3000 unit if there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks
Paul
Old 14 Jul 2003, 09:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You can reset the code by disconnecting the battery. Or I've been told that you can drive around and it may disappear.....I can't stand that yellow light so I reset by the battery trick.
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 15 Jul 2003, 01:17 am
Regular Cruiser

any idea what DC is going to do with the P1188 code, my dealer has not idea. Still looking into it last I talk to them
Old 09 Oct 2003, 12:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AJ

I'm joining the p1188 club as well

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paw

Hi all,

my trouble code P1188 is back again, anybody know how to reset/clear it since the dealer is going to do the same if I bring the car to them. The last time I was there, they mentioned DC tech support suggested replacing the turbocharge unit if no fault can be found. Thier mechanic seems reluctant in doing so as he said why replaced a $3000 unit if there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks
Paul
Old 09 Oct 2003, 03:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

See turbo performance for another thread on p1188 . I kinda doubt the turbo is cauising the problem . I had this code about 6 -8 times since installing mb and dealer has replaced the sensor for this error but it's failed since then .
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 09 Oct 2003, 12:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by flashbk2

See turbo performance for another thread on p1188 . I kinda doubt the turbo is cauising the problem . I had this code about 6 -8 times since installing mb and dealer has replaced the sensor for this error but it's failed since then .
mb? what is that, your sig didn't clue me in.

Punch
Old 09 Oct 2003, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

mb = manual boost controller.

All current generation DCX 2.4L Turbo's set this code if you run a manual boost controller due to excessively high part throttle boost. No dealer will be able to replace an entire turbo for this code as the parts are on restriction to prevent unnecessary warranty.
Old 09 Oct 2003, 11:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by romli

mb = manual boost controller.

All current generation DCX 2.4L Turbo's set this code if you run a manual boost controller due to excessively high part throttle boost. No dealer will be able to replace an entire turbo for this code as the parts are on restriction to prevent unnecessary warranty.
This is a real shame, especially since Paul's (Paw) GT is bone stock and the problem has ocurred since it was new.

Add to that - the published remedy for the problem (covered in the P0234 Overboost section) from the 2003 Powertrain Diagnostic Proceedures Manual is to replace the turbo if the other tests do not ferret out the problem.

I do not doubt that the official decision is to overlook the procedures established for problem resolution. However that kind of precedent, if allowed to go unchallenged will go far in determining the shape of things to come.

The least they could do is to try a 3 Bar TIP. That would be the same as a cat trying to cover up limberger cheese - Not enough sand to hide the smell, but it would possibly extend the range enough that the PCM software glitch that allows this code to pop up may not surface.

I have seen 3 year olds that had more integrity in their problem resolution process than that.

This policy has a massive propensity for insidious morphelation; in other words It Sucks...
Old 10 Oct 2003, 09:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Dalite, insidious morphelation Thats so Cool.....

Alan [}]
[imghttp://www.amazing-animations.com/gif1902/smile001.gif][/img]
Old 10 Oct 2003, 01:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yeah, my spelling may be off, but the general idea comes thru fairly clear.

I reserve that expression for when I really want to stress a point.

Stick around; I'll make more