Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone that has steering problems... Please post

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2003, 11:18 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Anyone that has steering problems... Please post

I am trying to gather as much info as I can on the steering issue that has plagued some of us. I would be grateful for any info as far as symptoms and fixes anyone has found.

My Power steering pump had been noisy from day one but only as I approached the end of the turning range. I noticed it daily as I park in an undergound lot.

About two months ago it started to get noisy even as the vehicle idled without turning the wheels.

Then about a month ago I started getting a rubbing noise (like fingernails scraping on nylon) when I turned the wheel from side to side.

I took my car to the dealership. After a 10 min. look the tech said that the steering gear was defective and it would have to be replaced.

About a week later I took the car to have the system replaced. When I got the car back that evening the invoice said

1) steering gear replaced--Warranty
2) ATF fluid--Steering system--Warranty (??)

All seemed well for about a week. Then the noise at idle returned. The rubbing sound has NOT returned nor has the heavy feeling in the steering.

The only difference seems to be that when the car comes up to normal operating temp the noise seems to quiet down.

Anyone else having something similar to this??

Thanks for the input all.

edited: for lousy spelling. My fingers move faster then the brain sometimes
Old 27 Jul 2003, 10:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Mine is making like a rubbing sound. Will have dealer look at it soon.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Jul 2003, 10:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Mine started making the scraping nylon sound too at about 3500 miles.No big deal as of yet, but when I get a chance, I'll have the dealer look into it.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 28 Jul 2003, 11:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I also had noticed that when I turn the steering wheel slightly from one side to the other on my GT, I got a sound like rubber squeaking. Then the steering got noticeably harder to turn. I checked the power steering fluid and it was on full. Took it to my 5-Star dealer. They worked on it for a couple of hours, lubricated the point where the steering column goes through the boot and said "we took it for a 4 mile test drive, it's fixed." I drove it 4 feet and it started doing the same thing it had done before but not as loud. Got the service writer to take it back into the shop to try again. After another 15 minutes they determined that they really didn't know what the problem was. Said they would have to call Chrysler's support group and then they might have to order parts. I left with the car and they called me about 45 minutes later to say that support was aware of the problem and they were ordering Krylox (part # 5049059AA) to use on the rack and pinon.

Dealer put in the Krytox lubricant and it didn't help (what a surprise!!). They called STAR and were told to replace the rack and pinion. Of course they had to order the parts. About a week later, Chrysler changed out the rack and pinion unit on my GT. The rubbing noise went away. A new problem was a front end squeak when I went over a speed bump at 10 mph which it didn't do prior to the rack and pinion replacement. Things finally settled in and the squeak went away but it took about 1500 miles. Not sure why that should have made a difference but I know that they had to do an alignment on the car.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Check your build date. Mine was built in November & I had the power steering pump replaced this spring. It took over two weeks to get the part as there was a recall on for the same part in the Caravan. Apparently DC was having some problems with their pumps for a while, so you may be effected.
Since the pump was replaced I get a bit of a whine at full lock both ways. The technician says it's "normal at this time", which appears to be DCspeak for "yeah, I hear the noise but I don't know what it is, and if it ain't broke, why bother trying to fix it".
Old 29 Jul 2003, 03:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Buck Spunni

Check your build date. Mine was built in November & I had the power steering pump replaced this spring. It took over two weeks to get the part as there was a recall on for the same part in the Caravan. Apparently DC was having some problems with their pumps for a while, so you may be effected.
Since the pump was replaced I get a bit of a whine at full lock both ways. The technician says it's "normal at this time", which appears to be DCspeak for "yeah, I hear the noise but I don't know what it is, and if it ain't broke, why bother trying to fix it".
I sometimes have a rubbing sound when turning the wheel and my GT was built in December. Were they having a problem in December, too?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:28 am
Regular Cruiser

I just made an appoinment to have the system looked at again. I am hoping to get this issue solved as it really is quite annoying. Oh well if this is all that goes wrong I'll be happy. My last car was one gremlin after another [xx(]. I don't want that again.

--------
2003 Silver GT
PT Cruiser 3rd Brk cling, APC GEN2 Eurotails. BTG Intake. StreetGlow Gold Series underglow kit \"Green\". BTG Strut tower Brace.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 12:08 am
Dedicated Cruiser

After I read this post I decided to turn the stereo down and guess what?[:I] I hear a noise also when I turn the wheel. What did you guys determine is the problem?
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 31 Jul 2003, 10:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Mine goes in on the 8th. I assume they will only look at it and tell me they have to order parts. I'll post updates as I get 'em.

--------
2003 Silver GT
PT Cruiser 3rd Brk cling, APC GEN2 Eurotails. BTG Intake. StreetGlow Gold Series underglow kit \"Green\". BTG Strut tower Brace.
Old 02 Aug 2003, 04:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Mine just started making this noise the other day. I am so disappointed! 3200 miles and already having problems? pfft!!