Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
unusual miss...any ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2008, 06:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default unusual miss...any ideas?

more often than not when at a stop and idleing the engine runs ruff. Not like a spark plug missing but definately noticeable. And it may vary in intensity from stop to stop or may not do it for awhile but I never feel anything driving (accelerating or cruising). The plugs and wires are new. I have run several bottles of Techron thru to clean the injectors and carbon off the valves and piston crowns. The compression is 169, 172, 174 and 173.
I'm just fishing to see if anyone has had a similar problem or has any ideas before I take it to a shop and have to hock my wife for the bill. It's an 03 GT with 51125 on the odometer.
Could it be a bad injector to have a problem come and go? Are they hard to replace and what is the cost of one or should you replace all at the same time?

thanks guys
Old 03 Jul 2008, 07:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: unusual miss...any ideas?

OK..I'm not quite understanding the problem. Is it revving up or is it feel like it missed every once in a while? That is normal. Big displacement 4 cylinders tend to have vibration issues. Also broken motor mounts will aggravate the feeling. The stock upper and lower motor mounts are trash as far as I'm concerned. I should know... I work on'em for a living.
Old 04 Jul 2008, 08:41 am
Cool Cruiser

I have not checked the motor mounts. What should I look for and any particular mount that fails more than the other?
The miss is more predominant at idle, not revving, and is not a hard miss like when you pull a plug wire off but more of a soft feeling (maybe like a weak injector or the pulse is off) and cannot be felt when accelerating from a stop. Up until about a year ago the motor was silky smooth. Of course maybe the turbo is compensating for the miss but I would think if that were the case then cruising would be very noticeable as the car now has wind resistance and the motor is working harder.
Are there any after market motor mounts you would recommend?

thank you
Old 04 Jul 2008, 09:52 am
Cool Cruiser

hey SLARTYBLARFAST I just stumpled on someone else with a problem like mine and he said he had a leaking intake manifolt gasket. Well, I had the high pitch coming from the corner of the engine block by #1 (put a hose to my ear and tried to trace it down). So, I retorqued all the bolts and the noise stopped about a week later. Could I still be experiencing a leak without the noise? The only bolts I couldn't reach are on the underside of the manifold....how the heck do you get to them? I have about 10 grand in tools and nothing I have will do the job let alone tring to see the little buggers

thanks for your help
Old 04 Jul 2008, 02:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The upper and lower mounts both go bad. The rubber is pretty soft. They can be a little hard to see but typically you will see some rubber "dust" on the rubber part along with a crack or tear. May be hard to see. As far as aftermarket... I don't know of anybody that makes them. You could still have a vacum leak. The lower bolts are hard to get too. The easiest way is to take the top plate off that holds the radiator, move it forward some and that will give you room.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 06:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mine kinda does the same thing. Idle drops to @ 550, and it is borderline stumbling. Ironically, turning onmy AC brings the rpms up and it idles better. Drives me nuts!
Old 09 Jul 2008, 07:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

slartyblarfast, forgot all about it but the reason it is not a motor mount is at idle you can hear a definate skip in the exhaust note at the tailpipe. It throws a p0304 every once in awhile
Old 09 Jul 2008, 08:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ummmm.... Could be a vacuum leak. Might be an injector but typically when they go bad they just quit working. I have heard of several GT's with the aluminum intake that the gaskets get brittle and break off. From what I remember the complaint was a P0304 cyl4 missfire. I would say possibly a burnt valve but the compression numbers look good. If it consistenly throws the p0304 then I would look at the intake gasket for cylinder 4. That's my educated guess at it right now.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 05:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

thank you, I guess I'll go after the gasket but do you have any tips on how to get to the bolts under the manifold...can't get my hands in there. Do I have to pull the radiator?
Old 11 Jul 2008, 08:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Dont have to pull the radiator but do take off the plate on top. It allows yuo to move it forward to access the bolts.