Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad Fuel Pump/Filter or what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2008, 11:01 am
Young Cruiser

Default Bad Fuel Pump/Filter or what?

Anyone experience a bad fuel pump? Recently (this week) I'm having start-up issues. It would start okay in cool weather (morning/night) but then at the end of the work day or lunchtime the battery is dead (or so i thought.) Well I replaced the battery, and guess what, still having start-up issues. Weird thing is ... whenever I get a jump it starts up. But I've had a couple ppl say it sounds as if you're not getting any gas to the engine, either clogged filter, or bad fuel pump. But how would a jumpstart rectify an issue with the fuel pump? Make sense? I do have 98K on the car, and I do need to swap out plugs/wires but something's amiss.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad Fuel Pump/Filter or what?

I see that you have a '05 GT. Is it new to you? Or have you had it long? If so, when you fill the gas tank, did you wait until it was empty? IF so, maybe the fuel pump is going bad. I don't know why a jump start would then start the car. The fuel pump is in the gas tank, so that will have to be dropped to replace the pump.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 Jul 2008, 02:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Hooligan ... shouldn't you be outdoors enjoying the Indian or Banana Rivers? Anyways, it's an '03 GT I've had since day 1, 6 miles. Now has 98K. Go figure, but today it's giving me no troubles at all with start-ups; not last night, yesterday, or the day before. To answer your question, typically I fill the tank when I hit E-empty.

PS - Later this week I'm swapping out the plugs with NGK 2314's and the wires with probably Magnecor 8.5mm's. It definitely needs a tune up. Maybe that's hindering the start-ups.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 05:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

onedevinehammer, check your PM, you have mail.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 Jul 2008, 09:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedivinehammer View Post
Hooligan ... shouldn't you be outdoors enjoying the Indian or Banana Rivers? Anyways, it's an '03 GT I've had since day 1, 6 miles. Now has 98K. Go figure, but today it's giving me no troubles at all with start-ups; not last night, yesterday, or the day before. To answer your question, typically I fill the tank when I hit E-empty.

PS - Later this week I'm swapping out the plugs with NGK 2314's and the wires with probably Magnecor 8.5mm's. It definitely needs a tune up. Maybe that's hindering the start-ups.
Not a good thing to do all of the time. You should refill at 1/4 tank. The gas is what cools the fuel pump and at E the pump is not being adequately cooled. Replacing the fuel pump is spendy.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 20 Jul 2008, 10:54 am
Young Cruiser

UPDATE:

Well, I went through the codes. I had a couple, but mainly it was p0340 & p0344 (camshaft position sensor issues.) So I swapped the CPS out and $50 later it seems to work. At the same time I swapped out the plugs, which I'm embarrassed to say were the original ones (98k), with NGK 2314, and the wires (again embarrassed to say the original ones) with Magnecor 8.5mm competition. The car is running great again! We'll keep an eye on it to see if the fuel pump is the problem. Typical fuel pump life is 100k.

PS - I did not get the Magnecor turbo edition wires. The only difference is that plug #4 (on the turbo) has a 90 degree angle going into the distribution cap. I had no issues with fit.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 02:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, when fuel pump doesn't deliver adequate pressure and volume to your engine, it may not run properly. Low fuel pressure can cause hard starting, a rough idle, misfiring, hesitation and stalling. No fuel pressure will prevent the engine from starting, or will cause the engine to quit running if the fuel pump fails while driving. Take a visit here for diagnosting it, aa1car.com/library/fuel_pump_diagnose.htm.

Last edited by petty; 02 Nov 2009 at 10:06 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 02:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedivinehammer View Post
UPDATE:

Well, I went through the codes. I had a couple, but mainly it was p0340 & p0344 (camshaft position sensor issues.) So I swapped the CPS out and $50 later it seems to work. At the same time I swapped out the plugs, which I'm embarrassed to say were the original ones (98k), with NGK 2314, and the wires (again embarrassed to say the original ones) with Magnecor 8.5mm competition. The car is running great again! We'll keep an eye on it to see if the fuel pump is the problem. Typical fuel pump life is 100k.

PS - I did not get the Magnecor turbo edition wires. The only difference is that plug #4 (on the turbo) has a 90 degree angle going into the distribution cap. I had no issues with fit.
actually it's an ignition coil. and the cam sensor was going to be my suggestion. fuel pump is not a hard thing to do if you have the right support. and an empty enough tank. i'd say 1/4 tank would be low enough. qoute i got from my dealer was 300.00 installed. or depending on where you live this is something that can be tackled at a mod party. if your not already a member i'd suggest you head over to ptcrew.com. we have alot of gearheads with plenty of experience replacing just about every part on the car who would be willing to give you advise and even help you tackle such a project.
Old 09 Oct 2008, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey, i just had to replace my fuel pump on my pt, ill tell you tht it doesn't sound like a pump, just a filter. I say this because when a fuel pump in the pt starts to go bad you go threw fuses in a hurry. because when it goes it draws to much voltage and blows it. after the fuse goes u are unable to turn it over because the starter no longer work, good feature.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 12:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Low fuel pressure can cause it. A dead fuel pump can prevent an engine from starting, or its either it's in the ignition system or the engine itself.