Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Light =S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2008, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Light =S

So today when I got home from school, it's -10 -15 ish, I pull into the garage, pull the park brake, and as I'm about to turn the car off, the oil light, flashed for about half a second (and beeped) and then went out. I immidiately turned the car off. I check the oil level (3 times) and it is at the max line (as it should be because a full service oil change/winterisation package was done about a month ago), coolant was full, and there are no leaks of any sort. Engine was running for about 30 minutes, so it was nice and warm (middle of the temp. guage) and I had come to complete stops and idles prior to this.

So my question, why did the light blink/beep? Does it only monitor oil pressure? Or could it have gone off for another reason? I have not tried restarting the car since. It's an 03 GT H.O turbo, with stage 1 intalled.

Thanks for any and all replies =)
Blow Off Valve
Chrome Grill
Konig 17" rims
Old 08 Dec 2008, 06:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Light =S

The light monitors oil pressure, and you could have a sending unit going bad ,or I guess you could have low oil pressure how many miles??? my guess would be the sending unit or just a glick in the system if it wasn't knocking and pinging its probably not the pressure
Old 09 Dec 2008, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cruiser has 127xxx km and had a full service check and stuff at 126856 km. Turned the car on this morning and all was good, no lights or funny noises, then coming home again today (was -15C) light came on again, but only when the rpm's are down around 1200 (just above idle), when the rpm's are any higher the light goes out.

Please help I don't like haveing warning lights on in the car
Blow Off Valve
Chrome Grill
Konig 17" rims
Old 10 Dec 2008, 05:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

well if it is not a sensor then the bad news is you actually do have low oil pressure--that would explain the light at low RPM's then when the engine is reved up it is pushing more oil and giving you a higher oil pressure keeping the light off---- now Im not sure but if you can find the oil sending unit, and see if it is leaking, and if they are not to hard to replace ,or to expensive, Id change it then if the light stays off you are good to go.
Since you do not hear any clattering, or taping, or loud banging, and your pistons are still in the block and not through the hood--- Id say it is the sensor and not low oil pressure... A good mechanic can check this I think with a oil pressure gauge
Old 11 Dec 2008, 09:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It won't be the cure for low oil pressure, but with a turbo, I hope you use synthetic oil...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Dec 2008, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

For sure I am using synthetic.

And I have been checking, there are 0 leaks happening. However, I am still getting a light at low rpm's. Oil level is good (JUST below the max line) and it is clean. It seems to happen more at colder weather, and this week has had a high of -20 or something, and the mornings are down around -35C. I'm going to try and get it in to a shop to get it looked at.

Keep the feedback coming? Thanks crusierdad76 for your help so far, it's much appreciated =)
Blow Off Valve
Chrome Grill
Konig 17" rims
Old 16 Dec 2008, 04:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This last bit of info makes it ever stranger### and more leaning to the sensor---if the oil is cold even if it is synthetic or not ,it will be harder to push thus giving you more oil pressure ,(like when you start up a cold engine) that should keep the light off if it is coming on in cold weather (OK in your case really cold weather) get it checked but I'm thinking a sensor

Good Luck
Old 16 Dec 2008, 08:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have an 03 GT, and I have replaced the sensor 2 times with only 73k miles. For some reason they are lousy sensors, and mine didn't leak, but were bad. I used a special socket for the sensor to remove and replace. The socket can be found in the "help section" at Pepboys or Kragan auto. Don't try to remove with out the right tool. Regular deep sockets don't fit over the connector properly.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusierdad76 View Post
This last bit of info makes it ever stranger### and more leaning to the sensor---if the oil is cold even if it is synthetic or not ,it will be harder to push thus giving you more oil pressure ,(like when you start up a cold engine) that should keep the light off if it is coming on in cold weather (OK in your case really cold weather) get it checked but I'm thinking a sensor

Good Luck
Correct. All oil thins out as it warms up - sure points to sensor.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles