PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
6 Power steering bursts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2008, 06:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yale329
Default 6 Power steering bursts

Need help, I have had 6 power steering bursts in two years, same hose, drivers side. Just off warranty and it happened again. Degreased and spliced hose until I can get it down to the dealer, filled it up and now the pump seems to be leaking, and no power assist. I feel like I have been taken for a ride and the dealer should have found the problem 2 years and 5 fixes ago. I bled the lines by taking the weight off the front wheels and slowly turning the wheel back and forth. It is possible the oil spewed out the top of the pump while bleeding. I did not put the cap on at the time. Need some help and advice. Emails welcome. Wayne
Nope, the pump must have went with the hose, for it is leaking from around the pump only. No gurgling, all is quite, when I add oil it just drips out of the pump I think? Still drives okay when moving, but wonder if the pump will actually seize up on my 40 mile trip to a Dealer I trust.

Last edited by yale329; 21 Dec 2008 at 03:09 pm.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 08:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 6 Power steering bursts

Did anyone look at your steering rack? Maybe the problem is a blockage in there. Stupid dealerships just want to throw parts at a problem, especially when it's a warranty job.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 03:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yale329
Thumbs down Re: 6 Power steering bursts

Certainly suggested that it may be a pressure build up. Have 3 photos for Chrysler, dated, summer and winter of last year on my computer. Complete hose was change the fourth time, checked for another leak at a different dealer and the nut to the rack was finger tight only. Also replaced an o-ring. Hoping Chrysler Canada calls Monday, kinda broke and this could be expensive. Yeah it was a Gautiers Dodge Jeep, plus sells General Motors in Winnipeg. To big and to many Dealer ships ran by the same guy. 5 Star my arse. Just no reason for so many power steering issues. Sear personnel are jerks, always trying to service something for no reason. I suppose Dodge will try and charge me for a power steering flush. After-all, 67,000 klms, Ha! Thanks for writing, made me feel sane again. Took photos of the burst and splice to. Also asked permission first, for I have a forty mile trip to the Dealer I trust. Wayne

Last edited by yale329; 22 Dec 2008 at 03:44 am.