Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
modifications? tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2008, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default modifications? tuning?

hey guys, i drive a 2004 Touring edition PT, it has the 2.4 turbo, but it puts out the lower 180 hp... i was researching it online, and from what i can see my turbo is just tuned lower so that i can run regular gas in my engine instead of premium? (not sure how well i phrased that) I was wondering, how much would it cost for me to re tune it, to achieve the 215 hp that the GT model puts out. And what other modifications can I have done to my PT to increase hp and performance, preferably without buying aftermarket parts.

Since i only put premium in my PT right now, i figure i'd prefer the extra boost in hp...
Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: modifications? tuning?

By using premium gas in a "turbo lite" you are just wasting your money. It was designed to use regular gas. Your computer is set for regular and with premium it must retard (I think) the computer to use the premium. You should have bought a GT in the first place. To bring yours up to a GT is going to cost you more than the GT would have in the first place.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

okay, thanks for the response, looks like i'll just stick with what i've got, and i'll start putting regular in... thanks for the advice

-Fabes
Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
By using premium gas in a "turbo lite" you are just wasting your money. It was designed to use regular gas. Your computer is set for regular and with premium it must retard (I think) the computer to use the premium. You should have bought a GT in the first place. To bring yours up to a GT is going to cost you more than the GT would have in the first place.
Agreed, you are wasting your money on premium as there is no power gain. Go with Stage 1 if you want a 55 hp jump.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

oh, no, i wasn't going for a power gain by putting premium in, i'm not quite* that ignorant (i hope not at least)... i was merely hoping for the benfit in gas mileage, plus shell (where i normally fill up) claims that their premium gas is supposed to maintain a clean engine (i dunno if thats bs, but i figured i might as well go for it...)
Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

wait, how much does it cost to buy the stage 1 kit for my turbo?
Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabes89 View Post
oh, no, i wasn't going for a power gain by putting premium in, i'm not quite* that ignorant (i hope not at least)... i was merely hoping for the benfit in gas mileage, plus shell (where i normally fill up) claims that their premium gas is supposed to maintain a clean engine (i dunno if thats bs, but i figured i might as well go for it...)
By burning premium you'll get worse mpg.

For the S1 kit it is only the pcm ,cause you don't need the injectors you already have.

The Southern Maryland Parts Store

Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

wow, thanks for the info, i know very little about this all, but i'm trying to learn..

so, i don't need to buy the full kit? my current injectors are good enough? on that link you posted, the kit includes injectors from the looks of it... ( i might be wrong again, wouldn't be the first time today...)

thanks again for the info, and the help, its much appreciated
Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabes89 View Post
wow, thanks for the info, i know very little about this all, but i'm trying to learn..

so, i don't need to buy the full kit? my current injectors are good enough? on that link you posted, the kit includes injectors from the looks of it... ( i might be wrong again, wouldn't be the first time today...)

thanks again for the info, and the help, its much appreciated
Only the '03 GT needed the stage 1 injectors. Starting in '04 all turbo PTs came with them.

Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

so do i even need to buy the kit? or could i go into a shop and ask them to reset the PCM?