Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New owner...some problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2009, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New owner...some problems

HELP! (car is good looking and a really great driver, BUT...)

OK here's my deal. I bought a 04 GT auto with 30k miles this fall. I assumed that the 7/70 powertrain warranty would be nice to have because other problems would be small and inexpensive. so...

1st problem, took the car in for its first oil change and the dealership noticed a "small trans fluid leak". I had not noticed any fluid coming from the car, but I did notice a slight hesitation when puting the car in drive, so I figured sure the trans fluid could be low and I'll get it fixed.

Not covered under warranty??? NO. They said it would probably cost $115. It cost $330. So I get the car back and now it makes a sqeel noise. They said its the belts that need to be changed. That's not covered under warranty either??? NO. they say this will cost $160 to fix.

DOES THIS ALL MAKE SENSE? At 33,000 miles? When are the belts due for replacement? thanks for any help.

EDIT: also COLD START ISSUES. Car would not start in cold weather for 2 days. Even when I tried jump starting it. When it warmed up, the car fired up. Pretty disappointing so far.

Last edited by LASERBLUE135; 19 Jan 2009 at 01:25 am.
Old 19 Jan 2009, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New owner...some problems

Stay away from that dealer.
Find a good mechanic (ask at autoparts stores, and when you hear the same name 2-3 times,.,,).
Have the ignition wires changed - NOT with stock wires - Crane wires are a good choice, and do the plugs at the same time, and I'll bet you start better.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Jan 2009, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much. That dealer is done. I'll look into the ignition wires. Very much appreciated.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 02:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASERBLUE135 View Post
HELP! (car is good looking and a really great driver, BUT...)

OK here's my deal. I bought a 04 GT auto with 30k miles this fall. I assumed that the 7/70 powertrain warranty would be nice to have because other problems would be small and inexpensive. so...

1st problem, took the car in for its first oil change and the dealership noticed a "small trans fluid leak". I had not noticed any fluid coming from the car, but I did notice a slight hesitation when puting the car in drive, so I figured sure the trans fluid could be low and I'll get it fixed.

Not covered under warranty??? NO. They said it would probably cost $115. It cost $330. So I get the car back and now it makes a sqeel noise. They said its the belts that need to be changed. That's not covered under warranty either??? NO. they say this will cost $160 to fix.

DOES THIS ALL MAKE SENSE? At 33,000 miles? When are the belts due for replacement? thanks for any help.

EDIT: also COLD START ISSUES. Car would not start in cold weather for 2 days. Even when I tried jump starting it. When it warmed up, the car fired up. Pretty disappointing so far.
like said before stay away from the dealer and find a good machanic.

33K. the belts shouldnt be squeeking that early or even the idler pulley. but things do wear and break. the squeek is probally the idler pulley.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 03 Feb 2009, 11:27 am
Young Cruiser

A mechanical, non electrical, automotive stethoscope is an inexpensive excellent way of finding noises. Just touch the probe to a suspect area, like a bearing housing, water pump housing, alternator, etc.
Careful not to touch a spinning part. Remove the probe end and you have a good listening tool (open tube). Place the tube end near the suspect noise area. It will amplify the noise as you get closer to the problem.
Old 03 Feb 2009, 12:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: New owner...some problems

Bad dealer!
Find a good one like mine - I drive 40 miles to get there!
Tranny problem should have been covered! Only normal wear & tear should not be covered up to 36K!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!