PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt gt almost overheat/oil press.light help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2009, 08:00 pm
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mtnbktrek
Default pt gt almost overheat/oil press.light help

i have a 03 gt with s1 recently it has been, i guess almost overheating. after like 20 miles of regular drivin it gets hot I can hear fan on high speed and wants to overheat /boilover . i stop at let idle it cools to normal. the first time this happened my belt started to squeak -drove car anyway -squeak stopped in a mile- then started to run hot. coolant is clean and at correct level with correct fluid,no coolant in oil or milky residue/foam,no coolant leaving exhaust pipe . the heat is not blowing hot like it used to and i do not detect a vaccum leak via. boost /vac. gauge , no bubbles coming out from under press. cap car has like63k on it owned it for 3+ years hating everday i got into it. waiting for another problem. i have researched your past topics about overheating and still pondering highly doubt it is thermostat or a clogged rad./heat core or head gasket i am thinking water pump do not think it is press.cap either so ? oh i live in NE pa it is cold and the oil press. light is coming on after i changed oil mobil1 always mayb just because cold i dunnno no engine noise. the car is paid off i will burn it in the field if the repair costs over $1500 if that is the case bring beer i will post an invite sorry for the long post
Old 01 Feb 2009, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt gt almost overheat/oil press.light help

Well, you covered almost all the bases and letting go for a moment that you could be wrong about something .....can you hear it almost "boil" ? The correct mixture and full closed system with the high speed fan running shouldn't (i think) boil unless there air trapped in the system. Was the system tested for pressure and any air bled out of it?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 08:27 pm
Banned

no it does not boil it is holding pressure it is however very hot meaning hotter than it should be if there was a little air in the system it would boil to steam and exit via press. cap into the overflow and you wouldnt notice this PLUS i would be blowing hot air through the vents and for that reason i think it is the waterpump not circ. the water good enough i would have just replaced it if it was not such a job. do you know how involved this water pump is being it is being driven by the timing belt (it will be changed along with pump if it is the pump)
Old 01 Feb 2009, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The problem is, that if it was the water pump, why would the water cool down when you let it idle? If the water pump wasn't working it would overheat all the time.

To answer your question, it's about a 5 hour job changing the timing belt and water pump. I'm about to have it done myself and according to some of the mechanics on this forum, not an easy job. Others that took their PT to have it done had to have it re-done because their mechanic put it together a tooth off messing up the timing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 08:55 pm
Banned

ok i read in a past post the water pump impeller is plastic and when it warms up the impeller spins slower than the shaft therefore reducing circulation speed when the engine idles the belt spins slower and lets the impeller catch up with the shaft other than this what else can it be?i think im in for it

p.s. this job is going to be at least 5 hours with some1 handing out tools and everything coming off easy. gotta pull everything off that side of motor then drop the motor a few inches b/c chrysler engineers decided to locate the pump across from the s. frame

and if your out of time it is prob the time belt tensioner unless the mech. cannt line up timing dots .the crank tooth should be on the trailing edge of the crank gear i dont see how someone can mess that up
Old 01 Feb 2009, 09:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope you got it right about the pump, good luck. About the timing belt, I've read from this forum to know that there were a few that had idle conditions and it turned out to be off the mark on timing. Mechanic in a hurry ???

Old 01 Feb 2009, 09:51 pm
Banned

wish i were wrong to bad its not the press. cap. anyway thanks for bouncin ideas with me. hope other ppl put input. this will prob be the last fix for this car &me way too many probs. got 58 willys cj5 itll start everytime and go anywhere 3 speed & 70 hp dont go too good on highway