Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
042.4 turbo limited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2009, 11:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 042.4 turbo limited

How common is it for the turbo to quit working and need to be replaced? I have a 2004 turbo limited for sale. Someone inquired about it, but offered $4500 because he says the turbo isn't working. How do I know if the turbo works? It has been this way as long as I have owned it. I've never driven another pt cruiser so I don't have anything to compare it to. I do agree that it doesn't seem like it is working properly. It has 96,000 miles. Is there some other component that may not be working, instead of the turbo charger?

Last edited by rob_04ptc; 02 Feb 2009 at 12:06 am. Reason: add more info
Old 02 Feb 2009, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 2.4 turbo limited

I'd like to expand on my original posting. The PT Cruiser seems like a normal 4 cylinder to me. Is there anything else besides the actual turbo charger (ie: sensors, gaskets, etc.) that could be causing the lack of performance?
Old 02 Feb 2009, 05:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 2.4 turbo limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_04ptc View Post
I'd like to expand on my original posting. The PT Cruiser seems like a normal 4 cylinder to me. Is there anything else besides the actual turbo charger (ie: sensors, gaskets, etc.) that could be causing the lack of performance?
Air leaks can really diminish turbo performance. All vacuum lines should be zip tied and all crappy factory hose clamps should be replaced with t bolt clamps. It's not even unusual for a turbo car to come from the factory with air leaks. I really doubt if your turbo is the problem. You'd hear it make a weird noise or notice an oil leak.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Feb 2009, 05:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 042.4 turbo limited

Thank you for your advice. It doesn't make any weird noises & it doesn't leak any oil. It sounds and drives like a 4 cylinder.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 07:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 042.4 turbo limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_04ptc View Post
Thank you for your advice. It doesn't make any weird noises & it doesn't leak any oil. It sounds and drives like a 4 cylinder.
You should be able to feel the turbo kick in around 3k rpm. A large enough leak, like at the intercooler hoses, can really affect the performance of the turbo. I found the crappy factory hose clamps on the intercooler hoses had backed off and were hardly finger tight greatly affecting performance.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic