Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another Spark Plug Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2009, 05:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another Spark Plug Thread...

Im not really a car guy, but I want to be, so I am here trying to learn and do things for myself, so please pardon my ignorance on the topic.

I have a 2004 PT 2.4L Turbo (non-GT, thats what you guys call lite, right?) Automatic.

I bought it used, it only has about 23,000 miles on it and it has been garaged for the last year.

I want to change out the battery, the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and air intake.

I have been reading and searching the forum for weeks, and gotten a lot of information on what I should get, but I guess I need a bit more hand holding. After looking at the spark plug guide, I am confident I can install the plugs + wires, but I dont have the proper tools to gap them, and was hoping I could find the plugs already gapped to the proper size...

So, I guess what I am looking for would be a part number; or even better a link to what I should be putting in this thing. If it makes a difference, this PT is my daily driver.

For the wires I was going to get cranes. Part number: CRN-255-4040 Does that sound right?

For the plugs, I went to Champions website and was looking at the iridium plugs... They come in .40 gap or .50 gap, the part number is 9403 for either one. Are those ok? Which gap should I get? Any input here?

Again, I know people have listed tons of different brands (I remember seeing E3 and some others) I just want something that will last a while (because its my daily) and still offer good performance (which is why I got the turbo).

Also, any suggestion on the air filter? I was reading K&N... My questions here are, do I just wash those filters occasionally instead of replacing the one in the box like I do now? And I live in Wisconsin where we get some brutal cold -- does that make a difference?

For the air filters I was looking at:
This: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=57-1515-1
or
This: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-1531

Any thoughts?

Im sorry if these have been answered elsewhere, I HAVE been using the search. I just get confused when those go off topic or start getting really technical as I am not much of a car guy. Im trying!
Old 06 Feb 2009, 10:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another Spark Plug Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash382 View Post
Im not really a car guy, but I want to be, so I am here trying to learn and do things for myself, so please pardon my ignorance on the topic.

I have a 2004 PT 2.4L Turbo (non-GT, thats what you guys call lite, right?) Automatic.

I bought it used, it only has about 23,000 miles on it and it has been garaged for the last year.

I want to change out the battery, the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and air intake.

I have been reading and searching the forum for weeks, and gotten a lot of information on what I should get, but I guess I need a bit more hand holding. After looking at the spark plug guide, I am confident I can install the plugs + wires, but I dont have the proper tools to gap them, and was hoping I could find the plugs already gapped to the proper size...

So, I guess what I am looking for would be a part number; or even better a link to what I should be putting in this thing. If it makes a difference, this PT is my daily driver.

For the wires I was going to get cranes. Part number: CRN-255-4040 Does that sound right? YUP! PT Cruiser Crane Fire Wires : Race and Street Excellent wires.

For the plugs, I went to Champions website and was looking at the iridium plugs... They come in .40 gap or .50 gap, the part number is 9403 for either one. Are those ok? Which gap should I get? Any input here?Yes, 9403 go 0.040 gap (tech svc bulletin recommends 0.040) - BUT be advised you have to grind down a socket to put the plugs in - the plugs are in a deep "well" and the "nut" on the iridiums is toward the tip, and hits unless you grind the socket down. You don't have to grind with the Champion copper of platinum - I don't know why - platinums not recommended for the turbo, but coppers are fine.....

Again, I know people have listed tons of different brands (I remember seeing E3 and some others) I just want something that will last a while (because its my daily) and still offer good performance (which is why I got the turbo).

Also, any suggestion on the air filter? I was reading K&N... My questions here are, do I just wash those filters occasionally instead of replacing the one in the box like I do now? And I live in Wisconsin where we get some brutal cold -- does that make a difference?

For the air filters I was looking at:
This: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=57-1515-1
or
This: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-1531
I got the FIPK. Be aware, you'll hear the engine "breathe" - not irritating but like Darth Vader breathing noises....
Any thoughts?

Im sorry if these have been answered elsewhere, I HAVE been using the search. I just get confused when those go off topic or start getting really technical as I am not much of a car guy. Im trying!
You have an aluminum intake - which is easier to do plugs & wires on, but a universal on the socket makes it easier.
Hope that helps.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Feb 2009, 02:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the prompt response!
Old 07 Feb 2009, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash382 View Post
Thank you for the prompt response!
No Prob. I got mine new, now have 72,000+ on it and love it! I liked my '02, but the turbo give more pep with no mileage penalty!

I didn't answer about the K&N - yes, it's a lifetime filter. In fact, I bought mine used off a PT Forum and it's good as new. A $15 kit has cleaner and oil - you clean and re-oil it when it gets dirty. There are cheaper intakes, (I had an AirAid on my '02) but the K&N has a tapered intake tube - others are the same diameter - and is a quality piece.

I only get temps in single digits - rarely below zero - and mileage drops about 2 MPG in winter because computer richens a bit for cold.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 07 Feb 2009, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Couple of follow up questions if you dont mind...

When you say "BUT be advised you have to grind down a socket to put the plugs in" you are talking about the socket it plugs into on the engine -- not the socket adapter on my tool, correct?

Also, you said no platinum plugs, I am assuming that means the double platinum are out too, correct? And finally, I think I read that the copper ones dont last as long, is that right? Since this is my daily driver, I think I would want something that lasts longer...

Thanks again for all the help, and giving me the info in a way I can understand!
Old 07 Feb 2009, 01:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'll try and answer some of those last questions.

QSD was talking about the socket from your tool chest because of iridium plugs and how they fit although I don't need them in mine (Non-turbo) and the picture of them looks about the same as ohter plugs:

NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs Chrysler PT Cruiser - LZTR5AIX-13, 2314

Yes the platinums last longer (single and double) but are not recommended for any of the Turbos: This is from a Turbo forum..... the boost pressure will melt a set of platinums if you get lean, even for one nanosecond. Don't even compare N/A to boosted engines in terms of compression, there completely different beasts.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Feb 2009 at 01:26 pm.
Old 07 Feb 2009, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Crewzin is correct. The first iridium plugs - Denso? NGK? - I read also required grinding the socket, then I read that they redesigned so you could use a regular socket, so I was amazed that when Champion came out with an iridium plug, they would design it so you needed to modify a socket - their copper and platinum ones don't.
If you have a grinding wheel, no big deal. As soon as you try to put the plugs in, you'll see what I mean - you don't have to take much off - I ground a bit, tried, ground a bit more, so I only took off (thickness) as much as what was needed. I bought a separate socket just for the plugs.

Old 07 Feb 2009, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys -- I cant say enough how helpful this has been!

So another follow up then...

Im ok with grinding the socket, BUT is there another brand thats recommended that comes pre-gapped to .040? Those ones that Crewzin linked were .052 (and going to NGK's website all of the ones listed for the PT are), Denso lists theirs as .050

So, if I want ones that already come gapped to .040 im probably better off buying the Champions and getting out the grinder and dremel...

Unrelated note, I went to do the first oil change today since I took ownership. Wow was that a mess. Couldnt get the plug loosened on the oil pan even when banging the wrench with a hammer. Ended up using a pump to siphon all the old oil out through the dipstick opening -- then let the last half quart or so drain out when I took off the oil filter. The filter was Chrysler badged... I sure hope it wasnt the original, and the little old lady I got the car from took it in for a change (or four) in the past 23K miles... Ended up filling it with new castrol syntec 5w30 and used a NAPA performance filter (NAPA store across the street). MUCH quieter now. Looking forward to doing the plugs + wires and air filter, but it needs to get a bit warmer still.

Noticed a small leak in one of the brake lines when I was down there too -- guess I will have to get that looked at...
Old 07 Feb 2009, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If I'm not mistaken, that .040in your talking about is for the non-turbo. I think the Turbo guys are running .032 - .035 on their plugs.

I just went to the Turbo forum (PT Crew) to find out for sure about the gap and those guys are all over the scale on gapping plugs and everyone seems to have their own reason for doing so. I think most are a little smaller gap than the non-turbo but going for .040in won't hurt a bit. Once you start getting into the Stage 1 group and pushing the boost, then the gap is more critical.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Feb 2009, 08:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

People using irridium plugs running more power gap at .032-.038 to avoid spark blow out. I personally don't believe in the irridium plugs. I use/used the stock Copper Plus plugs gapped at .035 in both of my modified turbo engines. The plugs work well for my high powered cars and easily last 30k+.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic