PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"new" pt again... problems...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2009, 02:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default "new" pt again... problems...

To preface 2004 PT GT Auto 58000 miles.

So yesterday my PT wouldn't start. Called the dealer and they sent out a truck. Said the battery had "Collapsed Cells" and didn't have enough power to run the starter.
Today it gets more interesting as two new problems have cropped up.

1. Every so often the car will get into a mood where it idles at 2500 RPMs. Not just that but if put in drive, without touching the accelerator it will accelerate to 30 MPH and change gears 3 times. It seems like if I slap the gas pedal it will sort of snap out of it, but it is disconcerting to say the least.

2. The car, 2 out of 3 starts will take a considerable amount of time to turn over. So far it has eventually agreed to start but I am just waiting for it to strand me.

The dealers service center is closed till Monday. Its still under warranty and thus they will hopefully diagnose and fix these problems. My issue is that I love this car and really was hoping to have reliable transport out of it for at least a few years. However if these problems are cropping up in the first week.... It just puts a pit in my stomach.

Last edited by deathchimp; 08 Feb 2009 at 02:11 am.
Old 08 Feb 2009, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: "new" pt again... problems...

If you still under some kind of warranty, don't touch it and let the dealer work with it. If not it sounds like the throttle body or IAC (Idle Air Controller) is gummed up and with some carburetor spray cleaner you might want to try and clean both parts I've mentioned above. The IAC is attached to the back sode of the Throttle Body.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Feb 2009, 02:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Run ,Do NOT walk to the dealer. That situation is dangerous to you and other drivers on the road.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Feb 2009, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For your starting problem, try turning the key to "on" for a bit, then start. It gives the fuel pump time to pressurize the system.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Feb 2009, 10:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

My ace mechanic told me these cars have a "quick start" system. They are designed to start after a couple of turns of the crank. Mine does

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790
Old 16 Feb 2009, 08:46 am
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mtnbktrek

How about a throttle position sensor (TPS)?
Old 16 Feb 2009, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbktrek View Post
How about a throttle position sensor (TPS)?

What about it?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Mar 2009, 02:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
i would like to have a relationship with your engine bay..could you book me in? lol

Last edited by CREWZIN; 01 Mar 2009 at 08:43 am.