Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2009, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Brake Questions

Hi all, I have a brake question and not sure if I'm in the correct area to post but here goes.
I need to do brakes front and rear on my 04 GT Turbo ( all Disc). Is there an area to get any instruction, ( I cannot find a manual in my area and info any I get is not for just replacing Rotors and Pads.
Does anybody have this info?
I've done plenty of brake jobs but never on anything this new ( all my stuff is way older 1965 Chevy pickup, aftermarket Discs and my old daily 1981 Caprice).
As always thanks for any and all help!!
Old 13 Feb 2009, 04:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Brake Questions

The brake system on the PT's is a single caliper/rotor system. Your knowledge of old disc brakes is still relevant. However since you mention its a GT with all disc's - I suppose you have traction control and ABS brakes. While the goal is still the same - to remove the old pads, and get the new pads seated - I believe that ABS has a requirement to replace the wheel speed sensors at each pad change - or at least at a determined interval. Also I have heard that it is not good for the traction stuff to force fluid back through the lines - thus its suggested to open bleeder valves before using a c-clamp to get the piston reset into the caliper.

Its quite simple really - 2 hex bolts (12mm I think) hold on the caliper, once off you hang em from a wire, get them reset, take off the old pads, slap on the pad glue/lube/goop, set the new pads - put the caliper back on, mount it again - then bleed the brakes. If you need to remove the rotor for turning or replacement - its 2 larger bolts (15mm if I recall) to get the caliper bracket off, then the rotor just pulls straight out. Bearings are not easily accessed and are not in the rotor as some other vehicles, so don't worry about em on brake changes.

ABS brakes may differ - my car does not have ABS.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 09:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've done brakes on 3 GTs, and my own 2 PTs - all w/4wheel disk and ABS.
I find first change calls for front pads only (front does about 80% of the braking).
When it's time for the rears, then I do all 4 disks & pads - your mileage may vary...
I never heard of replacing the ABS sensors on an interval.
I have read about pushing the piston back -- well, I figure when you take your foot off the brake, the piston retracts, so I have pushed the piston back with a c-clamp every time and have never had a problem.
DO hang the caliper and don't let it hang by the rubber brake hose...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Feb 2009, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Brake Questions

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies, that is what I thought but I just wasn't sure. With the ABS and Traction Control, I was thinking there might some thing new.
But again thanks!!!

Old 13 Feb 2009, 11:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

cool information..
Old 18 Feb 2009, 12:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

the bolts for the bracket are 16mm not 15mm

and yes its a 12mm for the front caliper and 10mm for the rear calipers
ive use a C-clamp and had no problem with the brakes.
you can purchase speed bleeders if you like from.

Speed Bleeder Products, Inc Home
SB1010S
SB1010

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 18 Feb 2009, 03:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Trying not to highjack this thread. What is the difference between the rotors for the Turbo models and the non Turbo ones. I have an '01 LE. When I get ready to replace the brakes, I'd like to put the heaviest (most durable) rotors on with matching pads. I see rotors listed all the time for the GT models but don't what's different about them, if anything?
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 18 Feb 2009, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyerrol View Post
Trying not to highjack this thread. What is the difference between the rotors for the Turbo models and the non Turbo ones. I have an '01 LE. When I get ready to replace the brakes, I'd like to put the heaviest (most durable) rotors on with matching pads. I see rotors listed all the time for the GT models but don't what's different about them, if anything?
Turbo rotors are fatter and require wider calipers.
If you go to NAPA, they have more than one rotor price for the PT - pay more and you get better steel that lasts longer.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Sep 2009, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinsrt View Post
the bolts for the bracket are 16mm not 15mm

and yes its a 12mm for the front caliper and 10mm for the rear calipers
ive use a C-clamp and had no problem with the brakes.
you can purchase speed bleeders if you like from.

Speed Bleeder Products, Inc Home
SB1010S
SB1010
My 02, has 18mm bolts for the bracket. (and a "heads-up" 11/16ths doesn't work)