Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
blow off valve question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2009, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default blow off valve question

i have a turbo convert an i just wanna to know if any of yall know if a blow-off valve would work for on an automatic? cause i just wanna her the pssssh sound. and to help keep the turbo cooler.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 02:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: blow off valve question

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper121 View Post
i have a turbo convert an i just wanna to know if any of yall know if a blow-off valve would work for on an automatic? cause i just wanna her the pssssh sound. and to help keep the turbo cooler.
Keep the turbo cooler? Never heard of that. With an auto you won't hear the psssh sound nearly as well as a 5 speed would.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 16 Feb 2009, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i know it wont make that pssh sound that much. but what i mean about keppin the turbo cooler is that when the turbo releases air it puts the hot air that it dont use back in the air filter box for recirculation. which means that it uses hot air instead of cold air which means that in the long run it can mess up the turbo.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 11:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper121 View Post
i know it wont make that pssh sound that much. but what i mean about keppin the turbo cooler, is that when the turbo releases air, it puts the hot air that it dont use back in the air filter box for recirculation. which means that it uses hot air instead of cold air which means that in the long run it can mess up the turbo.
the only time the recir valve puts hot air back in is when you let off the throttle, in an automatic you foot stays planted and the throttle body stays open and the recir stays closed, so its continously getting cool air. what hot air that does get recirclated will still get cooled by the intercooler regardless before entering the engine. you can get a mopar BOV for the noise but you wont see a difference in performace.

Gay-Lussac's law. pressure increases-temp increases, temp decreases, pressure decreases.
the turbo is the hotest part of the system since its creating the pressure. even though the recirc is on the turbo, whether you have a diverter plate or have the recirc put air back into the intake you will see no difference.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge

Last edited by nevinsrt; 17 Feb 2009 at 11:29 am.
Old 21 Feb 2009, 12:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

to answer the question posed, I don't believe that the bypass on a vert is any different than the hardtop. The Mopar or equivalent should work fine
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 21 Feb 2009, 05:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

I installed the BOV on my GT automatic sometime ago and love the noise it makes. The other day some kids were hot rodding and driving recklessley so I pulled up along side at about 25 engaged my autostick and shifted in to fourth gear then loaded the engine by power braking and my son said he could hear me PPSSSHHH 3 cars back. My daughter was in the passanger seat watching them and cracked up cause she said she thought they were going to break their necks jerking them so qhickly to hear the loud noise