Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
unusual brake noises

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2009, 06:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default unusual brake noises

I like keeping my GT wheels clean so I decided to install Pepboys Ceramic pads and just love em. Ever since the installation I get a chirping noise until the brake pedal is pressed then I get a clank noise when the car starts slowing down. I put Permatex Brake Quiet on the backside of the pads and the noises stopped for a few months. I sure don't want to have to do this all the time to eliminate the noise. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 19 Feb 2009, 06:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: unusual brake noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SPEED View Post
I like keeping my GT wheels clean so I decided to install Pepboys Ceramic pads and just love em. Ever since the installation I get a chirping noise until the brake pedal is pressed then I get a clank noise when the car starts slowing down. I put Permatex Brake Quiet on the backside of the pads and the noises stopped for a few months. I sure don't want to have to do this all the time to eliminate the noise. Does anyone have any recommendations?
When you removed the stock brakes did you realign the anti rattle clips. Mine did the same thing and I had to replace one side, cost $34, they are just pressed spring metal with many bends. I was lucky and the service manager was able to run they thru as warranty.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 Feb 2009, 07:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

the anti-rattle clips never came loose from the calipers., all I did was clean each clip up by scraping off the dirt/dust and wiped em with brake cleaner
Old 19 Feb 2009, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hate to ask you to take them apart again, but when you fitted the pads did they fit tight, no movement up and down towards the ends of the calipers. A clanking sound, sounds like the pads have enough room to move around and as soon as you apply pressure to the pedal the pads start to grab the rotor and move the way the rotors turning till they hit a stop. I'm wondering if you got the right pads from Pep Boys. The GT has bigger pads than the non-turbo PT's and possible you got the smaller pads. Did you measure them against the pads you took off? Just a thought.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 04:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

oops, sorry, I just saw that I put this under the wrong catagory

yeh, I put the pads up to each other...same. yep, slight gap at the end of the pads, not even enought for a piece of paper but enough for the pad to be able to move. guess it's gotta be the pads since that was the only thing changed. I have done many brake jobs over my lifetime so I know what i'm doin...I guess
Old 20 Feb 2009, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Seems you were on the right track if the permatex cured it.
I don't know why - I did the brakes on my '02, on my '05, and on daughter's and son-in-law's '03 GTs - and never put anything on the back of the pads, I re-used the shims as you did, and had no noise...
Would seem to point to the pads, but I don't know why...
If the pads hang (not retract easily) they'd chirp... But why would the permatex cure that?
I dunno....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Feb 2009, 10:34 am
Cool Cruiser

I bought the ceramic pads from Pepboys and they didn't come with the shims, so I used the old ones. There were instructions for pad break in, and if they were not followed that could cause a problem. I followed the instructions and haven't had any problems or noise.
Old 21 Feb 2009, 11:42 am
Cool Cruiser

I went back to Pepboys yesterday to see if they had any shims as my originals did not have any other than the rattle clips. They pulled a box and showed me the shims were already attached to the backside of the pads....guess I'll just have to Permatex them every so often