PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
wires, air intake upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2009, 02:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default wires, air intake upgrade

Hello fellow pt'ers,
I'm looking at upgrading my standard wires, and putting in an air intake system. For wires, I have no idea what to get, so my question is what after market wires are a good investment?
The other thing I'm looking at is an air intake system from K&N, and the one I was looking at was the Typhoon Air Intake, but what is the difference between the Cold Air intake and the Short Ram Intake? Also are there any other companies that make a good intake system? Looking for HP increase and reusable/washable.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-2541TB

Wires and Intake will be for an 03 GT

Thanks in advance for any help, it is much appreciated.
Blow Off Valve
Chrome Grill
Konig 17" rims
Old 21 Feb 2009, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: wires, air intake upgrade

The best wires, in my opinion and experience, are Cranes. Only 25 ohms per foot!
www.RaceAndStreet is where I get mine.
There's a lot of opinion on intakes - I just want to point out that cold air is good for HP, but warm air is better for mileage. Mileage drops in winter, the computer makes the mix richer with lower temps.
K&N makes quality stuff.
What you will find that throttle response is quicker.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Feb 2009, 06:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You'll get no noticeable increase in hp or better mpg from an intake. All you are paying a lot of money for is a racier look and a cooler sound. A K&N drop in filter is a lot more cost effective.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 22 Feb 2009, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you Mean Green and quicksilverdon, I looked at those drop in filters, and will make a discision in a little bit after some more research. Thank you for your help, like always it is much appreciated =)

This is MY first car, so I'm kinda new to all this >.< before my dad did all the work needed on the Blazer so I didn't really pay attention...so far though I'm am absolutely loving the PT
Blow Off Valve
Chrome Grill
Konig 17" rims
Old 22 Feb 2009, 01:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Especially in a turbo you want to keep the intake air as cool as possible so an enclosed system is best, a true cold air intake system. You really don't need an aftermarket intake until you go big turbo.

Old 22 Feb 2009, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
You'll get no noticeable increase in hp or better mpg from an intake. All you are paying a lot of money for is a racier look and a cooler sound. A K&N drop in filter is a lot more cost effective.
I just installed a K&N intake this weekend (FIPK), on my 04 Turbo Lite. While I believe what you say, it does seem like the turbo spools faster with the new intake. It could just be my imagination (I dont have a boost gauge to verify) but it feels like the boost is hitting harder, faster, than it did with the standard "box" intake...
Old 23 Feb 2009, 01:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash382 View Post
I just installed a K&N intake this weekend (FIPK), on my 04 Turbo Lite. While I believe what you say, it does seem like the turbo spools faster with the new intake. It could just be my imagination (I dont have a boost gauge to verify) but it feels like the boost is hitting harder, faster, than it did with the standard "box" intake...
What goes in must go out. While you may have improved the in, if you're still running with the stock turboback exhaust (TBE), you still have restriction. You need to replace the TBE to get better turbo spool. What you are probably hearing now is the surge valve and more intake sound. Sounds racier, but you are now sucking hot engine air, which on the dyno costs both hp and tq. Still, if you're not into squeezing every ounce of hp/tq out of your engine then it does look and sound cool.

Old 23 Feb 2009, 08:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
What goes in must go out. While you may have improved the in, if you're still running with the stock turboback exhaust (TBE), you still have restriction. You need to replace the TBE to get better turbo spool. What you are probably hearing now is the surge valve and more intake sound. Sounds racier, but you are now sucking hot engine air, which on the dyno costs both hp and tq. Still, if you're not into squeezing every ounce of hp/tq out of your engine then it does look and sound cool.
I have a borla dual catback exhaust, will that help with the "out" part of the system?
Blow Off Valve
Chrome Grill
Konig 17" rims
Old 24 Feb 2009, 01:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew514 View Post
I have a borla dual catback exhaust, will that help with the "out" part of the system?
Is it 2 1/2" ? A catback is a good start but there is still restriction in the factory downpipe, cat and 02 housing. If you aren't taking the power levels much further then the catback exhaust is just fine. When you up the boost then upgrading the restrictions would be necessary.

Old 24 Feb 2009, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know what size it is >.<

However,

Thank you everybody for your input, especially Mean Green, all of you have been alot of help =)
Blow Off Valve
Chrome Grill
Konig 17" rims