Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 turbo engine vibration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2009, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2003 turbo engine vibration

I have a 2003 Turbo GT with 90K miles that has recently developed an engine vibration. Not serious but obivous to me. Had in my local dealer who confirmed and talked about balancers problems but could not tell me exactly what the problem was because they felt it would cost too much to find the problem and said whatever they found would mostly likely be too expensive to fix. Their suggestion was that I should consider an engine replacement.

1) Does anyone have any experience with engine vibration?

2) I have already found that the turbo and non-turbo engines are different. If I look for a used engine, does it have to be a 2003 or will a 2004 or other years also fit?

LarryD
Old 27 Mar 2009, 01:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 turbo engine vibration

Wow! Local dealer just listens to you about a vibration and he says it's better to get a new engine? There's lots of reasons for a vibration but we'll need a lot more information from you. Vibration at idle? At speed? At the top end of each gear before it changes into the next gear? At certain speeds? Does it ever go away? Do you constantly race and maybe goes too far in gear? Last time you had plugs and wires replaced? Miles on the odometer?

The last thing you should have to do is replace the whole engine. STAY AWAY FROM THAT DEALER!!!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Vibrations is relatively consistent at idle and at all speeds. More obivous at idle. And it doesn't change much if the engine is cold and hot. I don't see any difference when I change gears, although the vibration does not track with MPH. And I never take RPM beyond 4K. Most of my driving is highway and RPM tend to be around 3K.

The vibration is not severe. It is sort of in the background. Vibration is not in the steering wheel. It is coming through the floor and seat so I am pretty sure it is the engine, as if an engine bolt was missing. There is 90K miles on it and I replaced the plugs and wires about a year ago.

Mechanic confirmed that it was definitely an engine vibration. If it were plugs or wiring I would think that they should have picked that up and charged me for a tune up, but I've never been a big fan of dealers.

I just had it in their shop for some other work. Engine light stayed on which was traced to a leaky intake manifold. Also had a wheel bearing replace. Right after I got it back the engine like would flash frantically for a few minutes and then stop. It appeared that this would only happen if I help the RPM between 3 and 4K. It didn't happen for two days, then it did it again, but only for a few minutes. Hasn't happened since then, and the light is out. When they checked the computer they got a code for mis-fire which they claimed it was not doing.

LarryD
Old 27 Mar 2009, 02:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Go to an independent shop of your choice. The last place you want to take your car to is a dealer. Looks like they are trying to drum up some expensive business at your expense. Independent shops are a lot more reasonable. Ask your friends or relatives where they go for auto work.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Mar 2009, 02:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Listening to what your saying, I'd guess that if it was bad enough to need a new engine, it would do it all the time. Sounds like an electrical fault or PCM fault that's beginning to fail. Maybe a wire or plug breaking up or shorting out. They should be able to trace down the misfire code. Did they tell you what the code read? It should point to a particular bank or single cylinder.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Motor mounts?
I'd take it to a good mechanic - the dealer sounds like they are fishing.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Mar 2009, 07:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Motor mounts?
I'd take it to a good mechanic - the dealer sounds like they are fishing.
I agree...check your mounts. I had a similar prob with vibrating...replacing them fixed the sitch.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 30 Mar 2009, 09:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Could be as simple as pugs and/or wires... Couldn't hurt anyway.
Replaced the wires in my sons '99 Saturn SL2 this weekend, did make a difference in how smooth it idled.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 09:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just had to take my 2005 turbo in because the engine light went on and the engine would sometime hesitate. They did a diagnostic check (which required me to pay to have the diagnostic codes downloaded to the repair shop) and determined that one or the 'chips' was sending faulty signals for the timing mechanism. A fairly simple fix.

Before that I also had a problem when the vacuum hose on the turbo became disconnected and caused the engine to ride rough.

There are lots of things that can happen to this engines, & replacing an engine would certainly be a last resort.