Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Exhaust System

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2009, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Exhaust System

Well, after weeks of messing around with my 03 GT, ive finally figured out what the problem is.... Clogged catalytic converter, so now im thinking Ill just upgrade the entire exhuast system, but having problems finding a good system that bolts from the exhuast manifold back.. Anybody have any suggestions as to a good performance upgrade concerning exhaust... I have already planned on upgrading the intake, have an aftermarket WGA, but been waiting for the exhaust upgrade to install it.

Thanks for any suggestions.. Would like to get this going by next week, already been almost a month since ive been able to drive my PT, plus with the nice weather, im really looking forward to turning some heads again..

Quanah
03' PT Cruiser GT w/ some extras
Old 27 Mar 2009, 01:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Exhaust System

Quote:
Originally Posted by QStrike View Post
Well, after weeks of messing around with my 03 GT, ive finally figured out what the problem is.... Clogged catalytic converter, so now im thinking Ill just upgrade the entire exhuast system, but having problems finding a good system that bolts from the exhuast manifold back.. Anybody have any suggestions as to a good performance upgrade concerning exhaust... I have already planned on upgrading the intake, have an aftermarket WGA, but been waiting for the exhaust upgrade to install it.

Thanks for any suggestions.. Would like to get this going by next week, already been almost a month since ive been able to drive my PT, plus with the nice weather, im really looking forward to turning some heads again..

Quanah
03' PT Cruiser GT w/ some extras
yeah go with a 3in O2 housing and a Needswings downpipe with electric cutout. it'll bolt up to the factory exhaust and be quiet for every day use then just open up the cutout for max flow and sound. it'll turn some heads!!!

NeedsWings PT Cruiser Turbo 3" Cutout Downpipe

3" McCord PowerPlate MPP6

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge

Last edited by nevinsrt; 27 Mar 2009 at 01:56 pm.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the response, but i dont think thats all too practical for my daily driver.... Cool idea though.... Maybe for my drag project, but that will probably have a custom 4" straight flow made from scratch.... Then again, I wont be running a cruiser on the track with a little 2.4L turbo
Old 27 Mar 2009, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
thanks for the response, but i dont think thats all too practical for my daily driver.... Cool idea though.... Maybe for my drag project, but that will probably have a custom 4" straight flow made from scratch.... Then again, I wont be running a cruiser on the track with a little 2.4L turbo
its pratical. we have one on ours and its great. plate stays closed most of the time so its very quiet. highway driving and city driving is nice since its closed and using the rest of the exhaust. our exhaust sounds alittle bit louder then a stock SRT, but when we want that extra get up and go just flip the switch and the plate opens up and bamm!!! Louder then shit!!!

the cutout is the best bang for buck. quite when you want it and loud when you want it. you cant do that with a full exhaust.

Nevin.

3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 27 Mar 2009, 02:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

im accually thinking about redoing my exhaust on my srt to the cutout. so its a bit more quite. my 3in dump is just too loud.

Nevin.

Old 27 Mar 2009, 02:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Why not? They eat up V8s all of the time. Nothing like embarassing V8 owners who think they can easily beat a 4 cylinder.

How much power you adding to your PT turbo?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Mar 2009, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After looking more into the donwpipe, it is a pretty cool idea. I may go that route... As far as the drag concept, going to keep the 4 cyl block, but going all out with getting that 2.4L rating up as high as i can without degrading the head integrity. I would love to get a larger turbo and push like 30psi, but that will bring up its own set of problems... But in lieu of my recent divorce, why not... Time to do something for me..
Old 27 Mar 2009, 04:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
After looking more into the donwpipe, it is a pretty cool idea. I may go that route... As far as the drag concept, going to keep the 4 cyl block, but going all out with getting that 2.4L rating up as high as i can without degrading the head integrity. I would love to get a larger turbo and push like 30psi, but that will bring up its own set of problems... But in lieu of my recent divorce, why not... Time to do something for me..
Well then, 3" o2 housing, 3" downpipe w/without cat, a 2 1/2" catback if staying with the stock turbo or 3" catback if eventually going big turbo. Or like nevinsrt recommended a 3" o2 housting and Needswings downpipe with cut out and the stock catback.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic