Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Muffler - Low Back Pressure Issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2009, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy New Muffler - Low Back Pressure Issues?

I've been having a rough idle issue with my cruiser. All the exhaust is stock except the muffler. It's a silverline muffler. Chrysler is telling me that aftermarket muffler is causing reduced back pressure which is the cause of my trouble at idle.

Anyone have any suggestions for verifying this? Should I just swap it out for a stock muffler (if so, where's the cheapest place to get one?) and wait for it to act up again, or should I ask them to prove their theory and have the back pressure tested?

I have a hard time buying this reduced backpressure theory. There are people who run GT's with no muffler and no problems. This seems like an excuse to get out of fixing it, because nobody knows what's wrong.

2007 GT. Only things not stock are plug wires and the muffler.
Old 05 Apr 2009, 05:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: New Muffler - Low Back Pressure Issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainWind View Post
I've been having a rough idle issue with my cruiser. All the exhaust is stock except the muffler. It's a silverline muffler. Chrysler is telling me that aftermarket muffler is causing reduced back pressure which is the cause of my trouble at idle.

Anyone have any suggestions for verifying this? Should I just swap it out for a stock muffler (if so, where's the cheapest place to get one?) and wait for it to act up again, or should I ask them to prove their theory and have the back pressure tested?

I have a hard time buying this reduced backpressure theory. There are people who run GT's with no muffler and no problems. This seems like an excuse to get out of fixing it, because nobody knows what's wrong.

2007 GT. Only things not stock are plug wires and the muffler.
You don't mention whether or not the muffler you have is a flow through one. A chambered muffler is bad for a turbo. Turbos hate back pressure so your dealer obviously knows nothing about turbos. Ask them why the '03-'05 Neon SRT-4 had no muffler straight from the factory. My '05 SRT-4 was modded and had only a resonator, no muffler, larger o2 housing, larger downpipe, larger catback exhaust and is a 12 second car. I only recently had a Magnaflow free flow muffler installed to quiet the car down. Got tired of people hearing me from two blocks away.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 06 Apr 2009, 07:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree (as usual) w/MeanGreen.
Dealer is misinformed, lazy, or both.
start with new wires and plugs gapped at 0.040.
If you still have a rough idle, spray wd-40 along the intake manifold seam - if idle smooths out, it's your intake gasket.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Apr 2009, 08:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
You don't mention whether or not the muffler you have is a flow through one. A chambered muffler is bad for a turbo. Turbos hate back pressure so your dealer obviously knows nothing about turbos. Ask them why the '03-'05 Neon SRT-4 had no muffler straight from the factory. My '05 SRT-4 was modded and had only a resonator, no muffler, larger o2 housing, larger downpipe, larger catback exhaust and is a 12 second car. I only recently had a Magnaflow free flow muffler installed to quiet the car down. Got tired of people hearing me from two blocks away.
It wasn't the dealer that made the determination. It was Chrysler. It's been in like 6 or 7 times for rough idle. The dealership said they have no idea, so they called Chrysler and the guy they talked to instantly blamed the muffler and said it's because of reduced backpressure and to deny me all further warranty work.

It's an Ansa Silverline muffler. UN7831. Their website doesn't say much. It's actually a lot louder than I'd like. It looks nice though.

The main reason I'm pissed about this is because the car is still under warranty and they're refusing to fix it and blaming the muffler without even investigating it.

Quote:
Agree (as usual) w/MeanGreen.
Dealer is misinformed, lazy, or both.
start with new wires and plugs gapped at 0.040.
If you still have a rough idle, spray wd-40 along the intake manifold seam - if idle smooths out, it's your intake gasket.
Bought the crane firewires, new plugs, and the intake was checked. IAC checked. New throttle body. Vaccuum leak was fixed. PCM has been flashed to the latest update as of a couple weeks ago. The dealership was really thorough. They've done everything they can think of. So they ended up calling Chrysler, and they blame the muffler, because it's aftermarket.

I figured the back pressure claim was a load of crap, so I thought I'd ask where other turbo owners hang out to get an opinion from other owners.

Now that I think about it... isn't the Mopar setup a free flow exhaust? P4510463... I belive it is.
Old 06 Apr 2009, 12:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainWind View Post
It wasn't the dealer that made the determination. It was Chrysler. It's been in like 6 or 7 times for rough idle. The dealership said they have no idea, so they called Chrysler and the guy they talked to instantly blamed the muffler and said it's because of reduced backpressure and to deny me all further warranty work.

It's an Ansa Silverline muffler. UN7831. Their website doesn't say much. It's actually a lot louder than I'd like. It looks nice though.

The main reason I'm pissed about this is because the car is still under warranty and they're refusing to fix it and blaming the muffler without even investigating it.

Bought the crane firewires, new plugs, and the intake was checked. IAC checked. New throttle body. Vaccuum leak was fixed. PCM has been flashed to the latest update as of a couple weeks ago. The dealership was really thorough. They've done everything they can think of. So they ended up calling Chrysler, and they blame the muffler, because it's aftermarket.

I figured the back pressure claim was a load of crap, so I thought I'd ask where other turbo owners hang out to get an opinion from other owners.

Now that I think about it... isn't the Mopar setup a free flow exhaust? P4510463... I belive it is.
The guy at Chrysler doesn't know what he is talking about. Of course with car sales being so bad Chrysler is going to deny every claim they can, especially if you use aftermarket parts. This is where PT turbo people hang out. PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it. Lots of gearheads. Yes, the Mopar exhaust is flow through for the turbo.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 06 Apr 2009, 03:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you have the stock muffler, put it back on and see what you get. Maggie at www.raceandstreet.com she had a supply from when she was putting on Bassani exhausts.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar