Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog/Touring lights will not turn off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2009, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fog/Touring lights will not turn off

It's Sunday, my wife and I got ready to go somewhere, I unlocked the drivers door, then turned the key again to unlock all other doors, but this doesn't work. I open the drivers door, hit the door unlock switch, nothing happens. I put the key in the ignition, turn it and nothing. I then notice no interior lights. I open the hood and put the battery charger on the battery, it is dead (battery is about 3 months old). I let the battery charge for about 3 hours.
I checked the car over after the battery is charged for anything left on,and notice the fog/touring lights on. I had my wife shut them off (switch was in off position) she fumbled around with the multifunction switch and they only go off if the headlights are on, she shut the headlights off and the fog/touring lights come back on. We can not get them to go off, this is with the key OUT of the ignition. I disconnected the positive terminal on the battery thinking I could reboot the system, this didn't seem to work.
Any ideas other then disconnecting the fog lights, they are draining the battery.
Thanks.
Rick
P.S. 2003 PT GT Turbo, Idaho USA under 75,000 miles
Old 05 Apr 2009, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fog/Touring lights will not turn off

Hey PTater, sorry that your first posting has to be asking for help. I believe that you will have to get a new Multi Function Switch, that is the component that is the whole stalk. You will have to take the housing off of the steering assy, making sure that you remove the old blinker "box" and put it in the new MF switch. It is NOT a hard job to replace it, but you have to get the correct switch for the fog/touring lamps. The dealer is the best place to get it and will run about $75-80.00.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Apr 2009, 01:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hooligan, Thinks for the info. I ran a couple of tests and nothing worked. I could get the lights to shut off a couple of times by turning on the switch and then smacking it off. this only worked a couple of times and not all the time, so I determined that the multifunction switch must be bad. Thanks for your clarifying my thoughts, and letting me know that not just any switch will work. I thought it was rather simple to replace as I looked around the column, just to see if it would be easy or not. Doesn't appear to take any special tools.
Rick
Old 06 Apr 2009, 07:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The switch itself is held in with Torqx screws
The housing around the steering column has 2 phillips screws you get at from the bottom, then it snaps apart.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 May 2009, 12:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hooligan and Quicksilverdon, I want to thank you 2 for your help. 6 screws, 3 differant styles. And 2 and ahalf hours later the new multifuction switch is inplace. Not a hard task at all. My excess time was spent looking for the right torx head, bit and a lost screw. Now my next task is to add about 20 ground cables to stop the annoying light flickering.
Thanks again
Rick