Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
mid to high rpm miss in boost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Apr 2009, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default mid to high rpm miss in boost

I'm getting a real hard misfire around 4-5k rpms's in all gears. I have 3"exhaust, 3" intake, kn filter, mopar plate, and no boost controller (stock wga). According to my gauge, i'm spiking about 15psi and holding 12-13. whenever it hits about 14psi or so it misfires hard. I have non stock wires (whatever came on the car, not stock though) and new stock copper plugs gapped at .032. anything that i could be missing? I'm very familiar with the srt platform and have never had this problem.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 02:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: mid to high rpm miss in boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD04PTGT View Post
I'm getting a real hard misfire around 4-5k rpms's in all gears. I have 3"exhaust, 3" intake, kn filter, mopar plate, and no boost controller (stock wga). According to my gauge, i'm spiking about 15psi and holding 12-13. whenever it hits about 14psi or so it misfires hard. I have non stock wires (whatever came on the car, not stock though) and new stock copper plugs gapped at .032. anything that i could be missing? I'm very familiar with the srt platform and have never had this problem.
Your plug gap with stock Copper Plus plugs is smaller than my Stage 2 SRT-4 (.035). When I had a modified '03 GT my plugs were gapped at .040 to fix the high rpm misfire I had. Could be your wires, too, especially if you have no idea what kind they are and how long they've been on there.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 21 Apr 2009, 07:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Back the gap out around .038.... check your plug wires (swap them)..... if that doesn't help it's probably the coil (stock? how many miles?)

Josh
Old 22 Apr 2009, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

yea my srt a while back was gapped at .038, that's why i thought this was odd. I'm guessing it is the wires. I'm going to order some new ones here soon and see how it does.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 08:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My guess would be wires - but throw new plugs in at the same time. Then, play with the gap. I've read of some who swear by gap as low as 0.028, but I'd say experiment.
The stock coil is nearly never at fault.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Apr 2009, 05:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

You don't mention if you check for codes or not.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 26 Apr 2009, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no codes present. Im guessing wires. the plugs i have in there now have about 500 miles on them. What would be the best set to go with? I was thinking magnecore because of the low resistance per foot of wire (25 ohms/ft i believe?)
Old 28 Apr 2009, 07:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The 25 ohms/ft was Crane wires - don't know if you can still get Cranes - but many swear by magnecore (and many swear at stock wires)...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Apr 2009, 06:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had magnecore blue wires on there. pulled them off and it said megnecore on it. i got some aftermarket 8.5mm wires from advance. got them for 35 (a friend works there). Cleared up my problem and I'm getting a little better mpg. Plugs i gapped back to .040 and put my spring back on the wga. spiking 15psi and holding 12-13 at redline. No problems whatsoever. Thanks guys.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 06:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad you got it fixed