Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Not shifting into gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2009, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Not shifting into gear

Well, I figured I should check out some info on here.

I just bought a manual, 2003 PT Cruiser GT from a car dealership a week ago. I was able to bring it to my mechanic for a look over and test drive. The car has about 41,000 miles on it and was in pretty good shape. The issue is that I put about 200-250 miles on it this week and encountered a transmission problem. I was driving when the engine started to rev a little high, but didn't seem to be giving adequate power to the wheels. I pulled off into a parking lot and opened the hood. Everything seemed fine, but when I went to drive off, the car would not go into gear. Before I had the car towed to the dealership today, I tested it out. I put it in first, though the clutch barely caught (I was able to completely let off the clutch without giving it gas, it didn't stall, but slowly crept forward).

-First, could this have anything to do with the recall on the 2003 manuals that I happened to read about online?

-Second, any ideas what the problem might be? I don't know if the dealership will cover the repair, even with the 2 month, 2400 mile powertrain warranty, and I also don't trust that they might just tell me I need a new transmission (Though I do have a mechanic that I trust, but he is located sort of far from the dealership and obviously the car does not run well enough to get to him without a tow.)

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Not shifting into gear

Well, according to the dealership, they said that the clutch is burnt out and I will need a new one...
Any estimates at the cost I would be looking at for a clutch replacement?