PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Cost to replace power steering pump?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2009, 12:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cost to replace power steering pump?

I was just wondering if any GT owners might share what they paid to have a power steering pump replaced out-of-warranty...I took my '03 GT w/83K to a trusted local shop because my experience with the nearest Chrysler Dealership has been that they are criminally incompetent thieves. The quote I just got from my shop gave me a heart attack: $343 labor, $377 for the pump and reservoir. This is a respected shop with loyal customers and rave reviews online, and they've never screwed me before, but $720 for a power steering pump and install feels like I'm getting screwed.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Cost to replace power steering pump?

i don't have a gt but the pump is in the same spot just reservoir location is different. i had 92,000 when i needed to replace mine back in jan. they told me 400 for everything. that was still to much for me. so i did it myself i only spent 175 bucks for the parts and tools. it is not an easy job. it took me 4 hours to do by myself and that was with a repair manual i had downloaded off of a torrent.

when i was getting the problem diagnosed my rack and pinion would have cost me the same amount they quoted you for the pump.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 08:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have wondered how that job was do DIY. It looks almost impossible to do with the engine in the car. Mine makes some non-steering pump kinds of noise from time to time so I will probably have to do one at some point.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 Apr 2009, 08:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

its alot to do.

you have to take the belt off and the a/c condenser. then take the fan off from the radiator. of you have to take the grill out because you will have to lean the radiator forward to be able to pull the pump out. then you take the line to the rack and pinion out which is underneath the pump. and then the line coming from the reservoir. total of four screws holding the pump in and then take it out. the hardest part for me was taking the pulley off and putting it on the new pump.
Old 24 May 2009, 07:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

04 GT owner from Toronto. Had to replace mine about a year ago. My mechanic charged me $520.00.