Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
conversion to Gt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2009, 02:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default conversion to Gt

i'm in the process of converting my limited into a gt. i purchased a low mileage turbo and manifold w/ oil lines off a srt-4. i want to know everything i need. so here is a list of what think i need and feel free to let me know anything i'm missinig.

intercooler
tubing to turbo and from throttle (for intercooler)
new fuel pump
new fuel injectors
new pcm
gt upper and lower intake manifold
new fuel rail

also some of these parts are hard to find on the performance side. so would for example and srt-4 performance fuel pump fit in my gas tank. or do i just pick up everything standard for a gt version.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 03:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: conversion to Gt

Unless you are only going to run, at the max 8 psi, if wanting to run more boost you are going to have to upgrade the engine internals. The na and turbo engines are not the same strengthwise. The turbo engine is much more stout. A stock GT boosts to 13 psi.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 30 Apr 2009, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

all i'm looking for is alittle pick me up. i'm fine with 8 psi for now. until i get bored with it then i'd look into a new camshaft, connecting rods, pistons and all that. so with 8 psi i'd be around how much hp. i know the gt comes in 180 and 230 hp (04-09). the 03 only had 215hp. because the stage 1 injectors then came stock on the 04

i want to be able to hop on the freeway and get up to speed without my car sounding like go kart.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 04:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTcruzer02 View Post
all i'm looking for is alittle pick me up. i'm fine with 8 psi for now. until i get bored with it then i'd look into a new camshaft, connecting rods, pistons and all that. so with 8 psi i'd be around how much hp. i know the gt comes in 180 and 230 hp (04-09). the 03 only had 215hp. because the stage 1 injectors then came stock on the 04

i want to be able to hop on the freeway and get up to speed without my car sounding like go kart.
Actually, it's the turbo lite that comes in at 180 hp. Same engine as the GT, but detuned down to 180 hp and you can use regular gas. You are installing an intercooler and a boost gauge?

Old 30 Apr 2009, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the intercooler i heard is a must to have so yes on that part. the boost gauge i am not sure about. i've been told that they aren't stock on the gt because i the small amount of boost they produce. so would i need one for running 8-10 psi?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 06:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
the intercooler i heard is a must to have so yes on that part. the boost gauge i am not sure about. i've been told that they aren't stock on the gt because i the small amount of boost they produce. so would i need one for running 8-10 psi?
How will you know what boost you are running? How will you know how close you are to running too much boost? A boost gauge did not come with the GT or turbo lite because Chrysler was too cheap to include one. Your first two gauges should be a boost gauge and a air/fuel gauge so you know if you are running lean or not.

Old 30 Apr 2009, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

lol i always thought you could set it and forget it. i'm not sure of the gt but the srt 4 turbo has a internal wastegate. so the actuator would be adjustable.

and just what i needed more gauges. i already have three (oil pressure, volts, vaccum). no if i were to run lean how would i fix it. would i need a laptop and all that jazz, lol. i am not trying to be all fast and the furious!!!
Old 30 Apr 2009, 08:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
lol i always thought you could set it and forget it. i'm not sure of the gt but the srt 4 turbo has a internal wastegate. so the actuator would be adjustable.

and just what i needed more gauges. i already have three (oil pressure, volts, vaccum). no if i were to run lean how would i fix it. would i need a laptop and all that jazz, lol. i am not trying to be all fast and the furious!!!
I had a '03 GT and have a '05 SRT-4. Both have the same wastegate and neither can adjust boost.

To fix a lean condition you'd have to have an aftermarket fuel pump, a return line and a way to add fuel. You could get a boost/vacuum gauge and replace the vacuum gauge. You could do the boost and a/f on a dyno when you tune and forget about the gauges if you don't plan on playing with the boost and just leave everything where it is when you tuned.

Old 30 Apr 2009, 08:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yea that feels like to much work i'd just have it set and leave it. now if i wanted a boost gauge. even after the dyno just so i can notice and leaks or anything like that would that be possible?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 10:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

you would be better off selling the limmited and saving all your time, money, etc and buy a used GT. You will still be left with a huge debt and a limmited. You will not have the GT suspension, interior, engine, tranny, wheels, tires, etc....Just get a Turbo GT used...You'll be further ahead in the end
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob