Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine malfunction light - Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2009, 08:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine malfunction light - Turbo

The engine malfunction light flashed for about 5 seconds and then stayed off again after a short boot on the turbo. I never noticed or felt anything wrong and there seemed to be turbo power. Pretty much thinking dealer service asap like the manual states, but you'd think it would stay flashing over something serious. Ever get this? Great if anyone knows.
Old 06 Jun 2009, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine malfunction light - Turbo

If the light flashed, a fault code should have been set in the computer. Do you know how to retrieve it?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jun 2009, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have done code retreivals before on older cars. Been thinking about getting a Chrysler reader and am still looking around for a haynes/chilton book. I suppose its the only option other than taking it to the dealer. Just trying to guess whether driving the car around to pick these items up and take the wife to the store tomorrow is a risk, because it seems fine. Have you heard any bad stories that started like this? Thanks & cheers
Old 06 Jun 2009, 09:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be just a temporary bad reading from one of the many sensors around the engine. Doesn't necessarily mean somethings bad.

Put the ignition key into the cylinder and turn it towards the windshiled, then back towards you. Don't start the engine. Do that 3 times and the last time keep the key pointed forward. Do this within 5 seconds (all 3 turns). In the area where the odometer readout is, either a code will pop up like P0070 or it will say "done" meaning there's no stored codes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jun 2009, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Aaaaah OK. The word 'done' did appear temporarily. So, if a code had been stored, would an indicator have stayed on? What was it, a engine or tranny control message? These are questions I will ruminate on. Probably, I will try more hard accelerations here and there and see if it recurs. I hope this PT is made of tough stuff, have to rely on it for a while. Anyway, its got a powertrain warranty for a long, long time still.
Old 07 Jun 2009, 06:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad you got the Powertrain warranty. For the most part the PT is pretty reliable but it does have it's problems. It's a great little engine but all the miscellaneous parts are either a hit or miss or weather they last or need replacing.

As I said, the momentary engine light means one of the many sensors saw something it didn't like and lit up but apparently it was just for a second. The sensors keep checking and whatever problem it saw cleared up right away.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless of course it comes back and stays lit. Then do a fault code check again and look at our code list (sticky on top of a couple different parts of this forum) to see what the problem is.

Old 07 Jun 2009, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There's more. Full throttle passing on the hwy today brought the engine light flashing and staying on for the rest of the day. P0302 was reading. Repeat attempts brought the flashing back temporarily and it has stayed lit and still just P0302 shows. I looked it up as #2 cylinder misfire. Funny since the dealer diagnosed a rough idle 4 days ago as misfiring on #2 clinder, and replaced the plug. Also the idle seems rough sometimes, OK other times, but the car still runs great as long as it's not being booted.
Still looking for haynes or chilton manual, and planning to let the dealer look at it again. Plug wire is my next guess.
Will update soon.