PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Blow off on an ATX autostick? also other questions.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2009, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Blow off on an ATX autostick? also other questions.

Hello everyone, I am brand new on the forums(my first post), and just purchased a 2003 GT with the atx autostick........I am not new to the mopar world as this is my 4th. I have owned a 2001 neon GTS, a 98 neon LX, and a 2000 neon LE, so I understand these cars very well. I am new, however to the turbo world. This is my first turbo car(a day I have dreamed about for many, many years now), and I am wondering if it is functional to put on a BOV onto my PT? Keeping in mind it is an auto, I know it won't sound off like a manual, but I am looking in a performance aspect.

Also, what other mods open these puppies up better. I know about the stages, and such, but I want to know about who has done what and what has worked best for them?
Old 13 Jun 2009, 07:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Blow off on an ATX autostick? also other questions.

*post edited by me due to complete ignorance, and impatience*

Last edited by kandem; 13 Jun 2009 at 06:02 pm.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey Kandem, maybe no one has any info that you are looking for, I see that a number of member have read your questions. And it ins't because you are new, so don't get defensive. There are a few members here like Crewzin, Mean Green, MX5, Slartybarfast and others who are very knowlegeable and if they know the answers you'll get them, so hang in there.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Last edited by Hooligan; 13 Jun 2009 at 09:37 am.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:32 am
Cool Cruiser

A blow off valve is just a "noise maker" with no performance gain. Get a K&N drop in air filter, and if you have the original aluminum intake manifold get the plastic manifold (gain in 8 to 10 hp). Get rid of the stock plugs and wire set! I went with the NGK iridiums (NGK #2315), and Bosch premium plug wires. I found that the Champion plugs leaked pressure around the insulator to the wire socket, and the insulators are not centered very well. The stock plugs also had the insulators around the electrode chip off on 2 sets that the dealer replaced! after that I went to NGK, and never had any issues. I also added a 180 degree thermostat, as the turbos don't like to run hot.The autostick tranny won't handle a lot of horse power! I have an 03GT and have had the tranny rebuilt 3 times! I went back to stock except for the K&N filter and plastic manifold.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thought that a BOV was supposed to allow the turbo to keep spooling, keep pressures and temps down, AND make noise. So there is absolutely zero benefeit for having one at all besides making noise? I like the noise, always have. But if I was wrong, then, I just won't get one. why is a K&N drop in better than a CAI? I understand about the plastic manifold being better due to engine heat soak.
Are hard pipes worth it?
What about the exhaust? I don't want to sound like a crappy automatic with a fart can on. I do like the tone of the factory, even though it may be restrictive.
Thanks for the additional info on the ignition, and thermostat.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 07:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CYCLONE_06 Send a message via Yahoo to CYCLONE_06

A BOV really doesnt help unless ur turnin around 20 lbs of boost or more. The K&N is better because the temperature under the hood from the turbo is rediculous, so if you changed to a CAI, unless you have a heat shield, you arent going to gain anything. The stock air box keeps the heat from the filter. Getting the AMX hard pipes has to be an improvement, because they are replacing the small restricted plastic pieces on your IC tubing. Thus, you should get better air flow. As for the exhaust, its not as restrictive as you think. If you got a 3" 02 housing pipe, and then a 3" catless down pipe with some anti foulers to prevent throwing a code, thats gonna help a lot.

~CYCLONE_06

"It's been said winning isn't everything... Just not by me."
--Mark Martin
Old 14 Jun 2009, 07:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanx dood.....I will be looking into a lot of this....with a new platform(to me....sort of) it is always addictive to find info of what can/has/will be done.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 08:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandem View Post
thanx dood.....I will be looking into a lot of this....with a new platform(to me....sort of) it is always addictive to find info of what can/has/will be done.
Not a problem. Im fairly still new to all of this myself. I have also thought about upgrading to stage 1, but then I realized that its only worth about 30 hp, maybe, and all the money and trouble it is putting it in, seems like it should do more than 30 hp. I dunno, thats just my opinion.

Id definately get the hard pipes, also open your stock air box, take that white silencer out. That increases intake performance also. Then get the Maxxfabb 3" 02 pipe, and the needswings 3" catless downpipe, with or without cutout. Then, the duals are your choice. I found a steal of a deal on ebay, and got duals, but havent installed them yet.

~CYCLONE_06

--Mark Martin
Old 14 Jun 2009, 08:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLONE_06 View Post
Not a problem. Im fairly still new to all of this myself. I have also thought about upgrading to stage 1, but then I realized that its only worth about 30 hp, maybe, and all the money and trouble it is putting it in, seems like it should do more than 30 hp. I dunno, thats just my opinion.

Id definately get the hard pipes, also open your stock air box, take that white silencer out. That increases intake performance also. Then get the Maxxfabb 3" 02 pipe, and the needswings 3" catless downpipe, with or without cutout. Then, the duals are your choice. I found a steal of a deal on ebay, and got duals, but havent installed them yet.

~CYCLONE_06
Do you realize what a 30 hp increase is??????

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 14 Jun 2009, 08:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Do you realize what a 30 hp increase is??????
Yup. Sure do.

~CYCLONE_06

--Mark Martin