Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
gasket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2009, 08:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default gasket

Hi guys i feel extremely stupid, but i have a small oil leak and i suspect (hope?) thats its a valve cover gasket. All i can see is thats it "wet" on the belt side. How could i make sure about what it is without going to a mecanic (super tight budget!) I really need your help guys PLEASE!

thanks

To hell with all religions!

Yes my baby is stock, for now!
Old 21 Jun 2009, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: gasket

You could take the upper manifold off and re-tighten the valve cover bolts. Chrysler wants you to tighten them in three steps: 40, 80 and then 105 in-lbs and in a particular order. You have 9 bolts, 3 in the back, 3 in the middle and 3 on the front. Starting from the back left hear is the sequence you should tighten them down:
6-2-7
4-1-5
8-3-9

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 08:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You could take the upper manifold off and re-tighten the valve cover bolts. Chrysler wants you to tighten them in three steps: 40, 80 and then 105 in-lbs and in a particular order. You have 9 bolts, 3 in the back, 3 in the middle and 3 on the front. Starting from the back left hear is the sequence you should tighten them down:
6-2-7
4-1-5
8-3-9
thanks crewzin.....im gonna try and retight(if they need it) on the "wet side" ...super nervous because of that (and my budget) but it didnt leaks a lot...in say maybe couple months...(say 2 or so )it used (or should i say lost lol) half a liter of oil( aint exactly a liter but the small bottle of oil....pint?)

Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, if you don't have the cash, that's the best you can do. Dry it off the best you can and tighten to specs. Hopefully you have the torque wrench to do it right, if not try and borrow one.

You might for the heck of it, go price a new valve cover gasket. Once the upper manifold is off, it shouldn't be too hard to replace it if you really want to do it right. Try the tightening down fix first and if it doesn't work, think about replacing it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

i dont, nor do none of my friend own a torque wrench.......

Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you have an Autozone or Advance Auto Parts near by, I'm pretty certain you can rent the tool from them. They'll require a small deposit which they return to you when you return the tool to them. Would be worth it to give them a call.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Canada.. either way, try to find a local auto parts chain and see if they have a tool rental program. By Googling, I found that the (near) Canadian equivalent to Autozone is Canadian Tire.. May want to try there.

Last edited by chris15; 21 Jun 2009 at 09:20 pm.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know what to tell you then. You could do more harm if you tighten it too much and do nothing at all if you don't reach the right torque.

A pint every couple of months is a small but decent size leak. It's probably only gonna get worse over time. It's up to you what to do. Good luck.

Edit: I was typing as your posted Chris. Good thought.

Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks. Unfortunately I overlooked the fact that he's located in Canada. I know for certain they don't have any Autozones up there, and I'm fairly sure they don't have Advance Auto Parts either..

Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Thanks. Unfortunately I overlooked the fact that he's located in Canada. I know for certain they don't have any Autozones up there, and I'm fairly sure they don't have Advance Auto Parts either..
im in Quebec, not canada...but thats an other story, we indeed dont have either of them, but you were right about canadian tire, for the car side...forgot about the renting program....its free but have to leave a deposit of the value of the tool....so if you dont bring it back its like you bought it HAHAHAH....thanks so much to both of you, ill keep you posted on what happens....tomorow!

thanks again

Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

I apologize for the generalization. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!