Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New car THROWIN A CODE?!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2009, 07:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New car THROWIN A CODE?!!

Wifey came home and said the CEL came on....I checked it and P0340 came on. I did my research using this site and the search option, but I still have a few questions.
I took it for a quick drive last night, just to see if it was stalling and if the CEL was flashing or steady. CEL was steady, car ran pretty good. I didn't notice any hesitation, or stalling. Then the CEL went out. The code is still logged into the PCM, as it still comes up when I do my key turney thing. Does this mean that the PCM did its own diagnostic test....passed....and turned off the light? I know that has happened on my neon before. I am also wondering if i should be worried about my timing belt. I am at 93 xxx kms, and for some reason there is no manual in the car for me to check a maintenance schedule. I can only assume it would be around 150 xxx kms to change the timing belt. I am just getting ready to do a big tune up on it very soon as I am sitting near 100 000kms and I don't know a damn thing what has been done on this car as far as maintenance goes. I would rather not have to do a timing belt replacement already.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 08:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New car THROWIN A CODE?!!

Welcome to the forum, Your in the Turbo section of the forum so I take it you have a turbo. It helps to fill out your profile when asking questions so we know what year and engine you have. Also your talking in kms so I also take it your not in the U.S.A. ? If you have the 2.0 diesel engine the schedule might be different but the 2.4 petrol engine is probably the same. Do they even make a Turbo for the 2.0 ???

According to my 2001 service manual, both for severe and normal driving, the recommended change for the timing belt is 192,000 kms but we recommend to everyone that that shouldn't go over 160,000 kms. Your way below that so it might just be the camshaft sensor itself and I believe your right when you said the computer now sees everything is OK and the CEL went out. You might want to check the wiring to the sensor (right side of the engine, see pic below) and make sure everything looks OK.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Jun 2009 at 08:10 am.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks....This was my second topic started on this forum, but thanks for the warm welcome again! Just after I posted this, I went out and checked the wire because I read that yours got chewed up or something, but mine seems fine....there is a loop, and a mesh sheath. No burn marks, cuts, holes, etc. Drove it to the dealership where I bought it, and they will fix er up for me.(I told them I am not paying as I just bought this car like two and a half weeks ago).
I put the kms in red just incase someone didn't see that. Glad it worked. I am from Nova Scotia, Canada. It is a 2003 GT.....2.4 H.O. Turbo. I will see if i can change my profile so it won't be a problem.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 08:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

just checking to see if my sig comes up with my car info...
Old 27 Jun 2009, 08:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok so it came up now it shall be know which vehicle I am refering to.