Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
timing cover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2009, 11:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Default timing cover

hi, got back from midas and they told me thats my oil leak does come from underneath the timing belt cover, but they would need extra time to check it out...and that means close to 2hrs of work.....so i was wodnering if anybody could give me a hand by telling me how to properly remove it?

thanks!!!!

To hell with all religions!

Yes my baby is stock, for now!
Old 06 Jul 2009, 05:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: timing cover

There's a couple of us that the mechanic found a leak in the front while replacing the timing belt. Both of us had the seals on the Camshaft start to leak. The leak would show up exactly where your seeing oil because the leak would go from the top (camshafts) all the way to the bottom and out any crack in the cover.

Problem is getting to the seal. PITA.

You can see what kind of problems your running into by jacking up the car, taking the passenger front wheel off and pulling off the front inner fender. If Midas is only going to need 2 hrs, let them do it but be prepared for them to give you bad news on how much time they will really need. Depending of course where the leak is coming from.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jul 2009, 09:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
There's a couple of us that the mechanic found a leak in the front while replacing the timing belt. Both of us had the seals on the Camshaft start to leak. The leak would show up exactly where your seeing oil because the leak would go from the top (camshafts) all the way to the bottom and out any crack in the cover.

Problem is getting to the seal. PITA.

You can see what kind of problems your running into by jacking up the car, taking the passenger front wheel off and pulling off the front inner fender. If Midas is only going to need 2 hrs, let them do it but be prepared for them to give you bad news on how much time they will really need. Depending of course where the leak is coming from.
pita?
is it that much a BITCH TO CHANGE THE SEALS? and stupid question but how in 4 years can it go bad???? for now its gonna see lots of rear main seal bottle stuff.....

Old 07 Jul 2009, 06:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

$ years has nothing to do with a part going bad. There's hundreds of thousands of parts that go into putting an engine together. Not all of them are going to last. Remember the seal on the space shuttle?

The thing is, we can only guess at the exact problem of your leak. Your not going to find out what it is till it's taken apart for inspection and that's the PITA part. Lets face it, it takes 5 to 7 hours to replace the timing belt and your leak is in the same area.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 06:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Lets face it, it takes 5 to 7 hours to replace the timing belt and your leak is in the same area.
HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!!!! never thought it was that long.....i'll defenitly have to do it myself....

I was asking because in my life time i had 3 cars in 4 years of me driving...(im 29 i know i was late at getting my liscence but i knwuw that i would've crashed because of a heavy foot) anyway lol my 92 5.0 f150 and my 94 lt1 roadmaster all had rear main seal leaks.......am i doomed to have that oil leak HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Time for me to get my hand dirty...

thanks crewzin' you're like a god for us here!

Old 07 Jul 2009, 06:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've had real main seals go bad too. 57 Chevy. But these new smaller front wheel drive tranverse engines are something else altogether. In the PT the motor mount has to be loosened and the engine lifter to make room for work for the timing belt. The air conditioning lines also have to be removed to make room to work. That's not a "have to be removed" but almost every mechanic does it.

Old 07 Jul 2009, 06:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
I've had real main seals go bad too. 57 Chevy. But these new smaller front wheel drive tranverse engines are something else altogether. In the PT the motor mount has to be loosened and the engine lifter to make room for work for the timing belt. The air conditioning lines also have to be removed to make room to work. That's not a "have to be removed" but almost every mechanic does it.
i understand...to tell you the truth, i almost miss my roadmaster.....damn theres no plce to work on our motor...

is the how to remove and change seals the same on the gt motor and the n/a motor?

Old 07 Jul 2009, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpug666 View Post

is the how to remove and change seals the same on the gt motor and the n/a motor?

It should be, most/all of the turbo related tubing is on the drivers side and all the belts, generator, air conditioning is on the passenger side. But I can't be 100% positive.

Old 07 Jul 2009, 07:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
It should be, most/all of the turbo related tubing is on the drivers side and all the belts, generator, air conditioning is on the passenger side. But I can't be 100% positive.
thanks a bunch!