PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Installed Hurst Shifter in my GT and now it wont go into reverse!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2009, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slipstream74
Default Installed Hurst Shifter in my GT and now it wont go into reverse!

I installed per the instructions a Hurst short throw shifter in my 2003 GT. It shifts nice and smooth 1 - 5 but will not go into reverse at all. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 17 Jul 2009, 07:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Installed Hurst Shifter in my GT and now it wont go into reverse!

I assume you got the right shifter for the GT not the N/A. Probably different.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 18 Jul 2009, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Installed Hurst Shifter in my GT and now it wont go into reverse!

Yes, I got the right part number for the GT 5spead..even verified with Hurst and asked them what the problem might be. Instructed to verify all connections and readjust bump stop. Did all that and still no reverse so I took it back off and compared the stock ball socket housing to the hurst and discovered that the hurst has a manufacturing defect and would not let the plastic crossover socket seat completely on the stub that comes off the gear stick. Replaced with stock and back to normal. I wonder if hurst would send me a new socket housing. I loved how it shifted...it was smooth and crisp.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 06:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

What you need is a 1/4 inch e-clip for the selector bolt. I cant post pics from my phone but can email them to you. It is a .25 part at any hardware store. I fixed mine last weekend.

Josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 06 Aug 2009, 01:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Did you check the crossover lever spring for correct orientation? I installed mine last week and minus one bloody knuckle it went well! I assumed the ends of the spring sit on either side of the head of the allen bolt rather than on the thread as there is no instruction either way. Seems to work fine. Also, the e-clip was a pain but there is one position it finally worked in.
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!
Old 08 Aug 2009, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mystery Solved!

So I ordered the Mopar Hurst STS and got it on Friday. I was thinking that it was either the housing on the first kit I got or the crossover linkage that was the problem. I put the new shifter in and once again, no reverse. I took it apart and put the Hurst shift lever on the stock housing to see if it was the housing. No luck, still no reverse. Needless to say I was using a lot of colorful metaphors at this point.

Then a vision came to me. I said..self..I remember that there looks like there is some adjustment possible on the crossover cable connector. I was concerned that if I messed with it that I could mess it up for good and nothing on the instructions told me that I might have to adjust it. I hooked the STS back up then adjusted the crossover cable moving it forward a bit. Well shut my mouth..it goes in reverse now! Made all final connections and installed my set of boogger bushings and let me tell you..this set up is like night and day compared with the stocker. Firm, precise, smooth shifts. Reverse is easier to select. Love it!

Hints: Use a little spit on the outside and inside of the booger bushings. Makes it hella easier to install the bushing into the connector and the pins in the bushings. You will need to drill out one of the bushings so the hex bolt will slide through the other bushing.

I have a complete slightly used (put it on, took it off) Hurst STS kit for the turbo 5 speed that I will let go for $60.00 plus shipping. PM me if interested.
2003 Inferno Red GT Turbo 5sp., Stage 1+ SCT 93 Canned Tune, Mopar wires w/NGK plugs, VAK-5 system with airbox mod., Mopar BOV, Boost/Vac & Oil Pressure gauges, Hurst STS w/ SRT-4 boot & boogers, 52mm auto TB, Magnaflow exhaust, Composite manifold, BWoody CV, 2 catch cans, Mopar body kit.
Old 09 Aug 2009, 01:24 am
Regular Cruiser

Good News!
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!