Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OIL FILTER SANDWICH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2009, 06:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Default OIL FILTER SANDWICH

There is an oil filter sandwich plate that is made to fit between the oil filter and the filter mount. They usually have three threaded oil galley holes. This makes installing oil sending units an easy job. On the Turbo models there is an oil cooler between the oil filter and the mount.
I have installed an A pillar three instrument pod. The oil pressure gauge is electronic. I tried to install a T fitting to adapt the original oil filter sending unit with the new sending unit. It places the sending units next to too much heat. An easy solution would be to install a sandwich plate, and put the new sending unit in one of the three available oil galley holes. The question is: I have a Turbo with the oil cooler. The oil filter length just barely allows for filter removal. Does anyone know if I can still remove the filter if I install the sandwich adapter?
Another idea. How about splicing a T fitting into the oil feed line to the turbo? It is very accessible.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: OIL FILTER SANDWICH

As you noted, there is barely room enough to get the filter out now - adding anything would mean having to tilt the filter even more to get it off.
Why not some copper tubing off the tee fitting by the original sending unit and put the sensor somewhere away from heat?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Jul 2009, 10:31 pm
Young Cruiser

I sent an email to the manufacture of the sandwich. I probably will never hear from them. Thanks for confirming my suspicion about not being able to remove the oil filter. I thought about configuring a new sender mount. It became a plumbers nightmare. There are just too many hot pipes in the area. They even place a heat shield around the present sending unit. The turbo oil line is metal and rubber hose. I will give it a shot this week.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 01:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Apparently the turbos have two threaded ports on the head of the motor, driver side, under the airbox. I've read quite a few threads on this AWESOME forum with this info. This should make it easy to install an oil press or temp sending unit.
Old 09 Sep 2009, 03:43 pm
Young Cruiser

I tried the two ports in the head. I think they are drain galley plugs as they don't carry any oil pressure. The sandwich is out of the question. I ended up taking the filter and oil cool off the mount. There is a 12MM Allan socket deep in the center oil filter mounting threaded bolt. You need a long 12mm Allen wrench. You don't have to remove the oil lines from the cooler. I then removed the mounting bracket from the block. I drilled and taped the mount with a 1/8 27 NPT tap. Drill in a place that wont weaken the bracket. I had to use a 90 degree elbow to allow the sending unit to clear. There is an 'O' ring between the oil cooler and mount. Chrysler does not show the part. It is exactly the size of an oil filter gasket. Hold it place with a dab of rubber cement to keep in place while mounting. A new mount to block gasket was $6.00. Sorry no pictures. It works beautiful.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 01:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CYCLONE_06 Send a message via Yahoo to CYCLONE_06

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALVANIZEDYANKEE View Post
I tried the two ports in the head. I think they are drain galley plugs as they don't carry any oil pressure. The sandwich is out of the question. I ended up taking the filter and oil cool off the mount. There is a 12MM Allan socket deep in the center oil filter mounting threaded bolt. You need a long 12mm Allen wrench. You don't have to remove the oil lines from the cooler. I then removed the mounting bracket from the block. I drilled and taped the mount with a 1/8 27 NPT tap. Drill in a place that wont weaken the bracket. I had to use a 90 degree elbow to allow the sending unit to clear. There is an 'O' ring between the oil cooler and mount. Chrysler does not show the part. It is exactly the size of an oil filter gasket. Hold it place with a dab of rubber cement to keep in place while mounting. A new mount to block gasket was $6.00. Sorry no pictures. It works beautiful.
Why is the sandwhich out of the question ? I have a 2.4 Turbo cruiser, and I installed an oil pressure gauge and sending unit (electronic) with no problem. All I did was went with a shorter oil filter. No big deal.

~CYCLONE_06

"It's been said winning isn't everything... Just not by me."
--Mark Martin