Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New GT owner with some questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2009, 08:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New GT owner with some questions

Hi all, and thank you for creating a home for me and my new-to-me 2004 PT GT!

I got it last week, and have been lurking here for a few days since, trying to learn everything I could without asking stupid questions. Unfortunately, like all good things, the wealth of information became a little too confusing for me, and now I'm in need of a little extra. For reference, my GT has 69,000 miles on it.

First of all, it's been brought to my attention, by a guy at work whose son worked at a Dodge dealership, that our turbos are fickle and of low quality. On a number of threads here, I've seen people complaining about broken turbos, and it seems like a lot of you have had to replace them or have them serviced in some way. Considering I have no boost gauge, and that I've heard all of this, I really have some concerns about whether I even have a functional turbo at all. It seems like a pretty quick car, and I love it! I just wonder what the likelihood is of me having a good one, and how I find out without paying someone an exorbitant amount of cash.

What kind of driving is best for the life of ones turbo? Should I spend most of my time below boost, and just pull it out once in a while, to preserve the life of the turbo? Should I stomp on it all the time to keep it nice and broken-in? Are they as delicate and fragile as I've been led to believe?

Thanks for any input, guys!
Old 29 Jul 2009, 09:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: New GT owner with some questions

The number one thing I hear is to use synthetic oil - I recently put Mobile1 in mine, with a Mobile1 filter. If I can't use the Turbo, why have it. I haven't heard or read any other suggestions for making it last - I'm sure someone here will offer some.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 12:09 pm
Young Cruiser

If your car is stock, I wouldn't worry at all. Biggest two things are, synthetic oil, it won't break down and clog up the lubrication supply to the turbo, and give the engine some idle time after driving it, so the turbo can slow down, before you shut off the engine. If you have been driving the car very hard, then give it even longer. Otherwise enjoy it and have fun!
03 PT GT Turbo 41TE Autostick Electric Blue
Old 29 Jul 2009, 01:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Take off the tube that goes to the turbo from the airbox, check for oil pools. Also there is a nut in the middle of the "fanblade" compressor, this is your shaft. It should only wiggle in mm, if it moves more = bad turbo.

As for the other thing, i have seen our turbo's run 300 whp for 60k miles. They are strong! If it blew it was from bad treatment. I run mine hard but i take care of it... A ferrari can break too if you beat it.

Welcome

Josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 29 Jul 2009, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, guys! That's what I was hoping to hear. After she cools down for a little bit, I'll run out and see if I can wiggle that bolt.

I can't speak for what the previous owner did with the car, but it's been well-treated and is in excellent condition. I'll put synthetic in it, and most likely drive like a normal person 99% of the time. There's no way I'm going to own a turbo and NEVER romp on it, though.

I appreciate the input.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 04:41 pm
Young Cruiser

don't worry if there is oil in the airbox or pcv tubes, this is normal. on a non turbo car the pcv vents into the manifold and is sucked back into the engine On our cars, when under boost it wouldn't get sucked in, and would just pressurize the crankcase, so the pcv vents into the airbox before the turbo where air is only sucked into the system. All turbo engines are going to have some blow by which means some vaporized oil collecting in the lines and airbox. My daytona's do it, and so does my pt gt, which is a one owner (me) car with mobil1 oil since new.

My one daytona was beat on by the previous owner, engine was trashed, bearings wasted, and coolant passages were clogged up from lack of flsuhes. The turbo was still nice and tight. Go figure.

Boost is fun, and these engines are very sturdy and engineered from the start for high boost. It's the same as the srt-4 neon engine internally, and you know those cars get beat on. I'm sure you'll love it for a long time.
03 PT GT Turbo 41TE Autostick Electric Blue
Old 29 Jul 2009, 06:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Oil in turbo compressor is different than oil in th airbox... Just sayin...
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 29 Jul 2009, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome -
Synthetic oil, changed regularly, is a must. There have been relatively few turbo failures, considering how many there are...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Jul 2009, 12:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

All the turbo failures I have seen have been from lack of maintenance. I had one here a little while ago that had 24,000 miles and had NEVER had an oil change! Still had the original factory installed filter! His warranty was put on engine restriction!