Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 pt cruiser turbo misfire PLZ help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2009, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 pt cruiser turbo misfire PLZ help

i just posted below on an overheating prob here is another problem we have had for over a year on the same car...its a 2003 pt cruiser gt and its been misfiring for a long time now, it shows the code p 0304 which is random misfire on the 4th cyl... here is what ive tried, replaced spark plugs(3 times all different types) replaced the coild box which sparks to all 4 cyl, ive tried replacing the spark plug wires, ive cleaned the number four injector and even swapped it with the number 1 injector. what am i missing here i thought i had covered all the grounds, ive even gone so far as to pressure test the number 4 cyl as well as the other 3 cyl's all have good pressure so head gasket isnt blown no bad rings i cannot find anything wrong, ive tried additives for injector cleaners, paid 89 dollars for a real intake system clea, took the exhaust manifold off to see if maybe sumthing was blocking the exhaust tube for the # 4 cyl, did the same thing with the intake, changed air filter, we only run premium gas because thats what it calls for, i just cannot figure out what it is, neither can any shop ive ever taken it to... we see about 16 miles to a gallon on the freeway at 70 miles an hour and the car shakes so bad when your sitting still it almost makes sick, and is almost embarrasing to sit at a light cuz it is so obvious that there is a problem. we will be leaveing on vacation in 8 days and gone for 2 weeks i dont really need this fixed too badly but would like sum input on it. also id liek to add that the car is bone stock not a single thing has been changed and also the headlights and dash lights dim and brighten with the misfire of the motor, every time it misses the lights dim. please help
Old 04 Aug 2009, 12:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 pt cruiser turbo misfire PLZ help

How many miles do you have on your PT?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Aug 2009, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

it has about 70k on it i think the exact yesterday was 70497
Old 04 Aug 2009, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Spray starter fluid along intake manifold seam - if it smooths out idle, it's a manifold gasket leak.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Aug 2009, 08:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

should i spray it were the manifold meets the engine or the seam acouple inches from the motor were the manifold starts to curve, also should i try were the throttle body meets the intake manifold, i will definitly try this in the morning i cannot find anything else this maybe the answer it does kinda sound like there is an air leak i thought maybe a vaccum hose or exhaust leak but now that i think of it it could very well be an intake manifold gasket. thank you for your thoughts.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Shouldn't be at the throttle body, but along the seams of the intake manifold.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Aug 2009, 07:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

See if a dealer has ever replaced the manifold gasket between the head and the lower manifold.

On the 03 Turbos it is a common problem, you develop a vacuum leak and the car will not idle properly. Guess they had bad gaskets.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok i wen tout there today with a shiny new can of starting fluid, sprayed it down the drivers side of the intake manifold and after less than a second of spraying the idle goes up then the car tries to die like im flooding it or sumthing, but the idle definitly changes when i spray down that tube but doesnt down any other tube, im thinking this is definitly my problem, so i have ordered new gaskets for all the things it looked like i will have to take off. please post and confirm that this is my problem, you said it would smooth out the idle and it seems liek it may for just a brief second but then it tries to die. thank you so much