PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to change thermostat in 06 turbo pt cruiser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2009, 10:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to change thermostat in 06 turbo pt cruiser?

I need to change out my thermostat on my 06 2.4L Turbo. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Is there a schematic or diagram online somewhere I couldn't locate one.

Thanks
Old 07 Aug 2009, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to change thermostat in 06 turbo pt cruiser?

Here's the diagram from the Haynes manual. While giving instruction on the replacement of the thermostat, there's only two lines that are different for the turbo models. They are:

10. Disconnect the air conditioning suction (low side) line support bracket from the thermostat housing stud.

11. Disconnect the support bracket and position it off to one side.

Sorry, but I'm not about to type the other 18 lines of instructions. You can buy a Haynes or Chilton manual for around $20. Very helpful if your going to do your own work.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Aug 2009, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you I was able to do it no problem. Crazy dealership wanted $150 to do what I did in 15 minutes.

Thanks again.
Old 09 Aug 2009, 09:52 am
Cool Cruiser

You changed a thermostat in 15 minutes? It took me longer than that to drain the coolant.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, it was actually very easy. I didn't have to disconnect half the things it listed in the book. It just slide right out. I was shocked! Yet extremely happy.
I did flush the radiator as well of course as you said to took longer for that. I am just happy I was working on my mother in law's PT cruiser and not my BMW or else it would have taken a lot longer
Old 31 Oct 2013, 09:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default coolent leaks out. Help

For 5 days my husband has been working on our 2007 pt turbo. He was overheating and loosing coolent as soon as he put it in.he changed water pump, thermastat radiator put it all together put coolent in and it ran out again. What is the problem. Please help!
Old 31 Oct 2013, 11:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

the problem is the coolant ran out again.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 12:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

seriously though, is it leaking out? or is it just disappearing?

since you say it was overheated, i'd GUESS its the headgasket. it would either be misting out the exhaust pipe, leaking into the oil, or running down the engine outo the ground below. the head might be warped/ruined. it could be leaking from the headgasket, a hose, the waterpump gasket, a freezeplug, the thermostat housing, the radiator, or any other number of places the coolant passes through. best way to find it is not to ask, but to look.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 07:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: How to change thermostat in 06 turbo pt cruiser?

Did it overheat & lose ALL of the coolant,or just SOME of the coolant.....Because,it is important to bleed all of the air out of the cooling system after draining & filling......There is a 'Bleed Valve' next to the filler neck for that purpose.