Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 pt cruiser misfire fixed now other problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2009, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 pt cruiser misfire fixed now other problems

i replaced the intake manifold upper and lower gaskets on my wifes pt cruiser, everything went well got it all back together and it runs beautifuly but now it sounds like there is a big vacuum leak coming from the intake manifold but i cannot find it i even bought another set of gaskets and re did the whole procedure again and i cant figure out what it is, i sprayed ether down the intake tubes and the idle never changes any input would be great.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 08:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 pt cruiser misfire fixed now other problems

Dumb question here... did you check all the hoses? Also check the hose from the PCV to the intake. They have a bad habit of getting brittle and breaking.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes i checked everything i took off i even took the whole thing back apart and put it back together again. it definitly sounds liek its coming from the intake down by the motor but it runs perfect no misfire no nothing
Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

With out hearing it it's hard to say. Are you comparing the noise with the intake tube off or on? I don't want you to think I'm calling you dumb or anything. In a situation like this I usually find it's something very basic that I did wrong. Are you sure the bolts are tight and that the manifold is flat? When you put it all back together you have to tighten the bolts where the 2 pieces meet first and then the bracket in the back. If it's not flat then it can create a vacuum leak that will cause noise but not affect running because the leak is even in all cylinders. Also it doesn't take much of a leak for you to hear it.... These are the kind of things I have run into.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 02:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Assuming your manifold gaskets are good, here are a few places to check

First, check your manifold screws are torqued to proper specs (manifold screws are 105 in-lbs.) If they're too tight or loose, they could warp and create a vacuum leak.
Second, check the connection between your tb and manifold, those to pieces can fit together poorly sometimes (especially if you switch the rubber pieces that hold the throttle body down.)
Lastly, check your valve cover gaskets. More importantly, check for oil leaking out of it. That's what was causing my vacuum leak.

Good luck.

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer and another one!

Old 14 Aug 2009, 01:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

have you tried boost leak testing??

if you havent go to home depot or Lowes and buy a 2" plumming cap, go to autozone and buy a valve stem, poke a hole in the center of the cap and put the stem in, then get an air compressor and hook it up and fill the system with air and were ever you hear air comming out spray soapy water then fix the problem with zip ties or tighten the clamps or replacing the lines or gaskets.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge