Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
TURBO HOT!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2009, 08:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking TURBO HOT!!!

i just tune my stock pcm with the SCT tuner, i did the transmission learn, and DAM can that thing move, wow then i pulled over cuz it smelled like something was burning not bad just a little and when i opened the hood the turbo was so REDDDD i was like omg fire!!! but then i was like wait this is ok, lol any suggestions tho on how to keep that turbo cool!!!.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 11:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: TURBO HOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buo123 View Post
i just tune my stock pcm with the SCT tuner, i did the transmission learn, and DAM can that thing move, wow then i pulled over cuz it smelled like something was burning not bad just a little and when i opened the hood the turbo was so REDDDD i was like omg fire!!! but then i was like wait this is ok, lol any suggestions tho on how to keep that turbo cool!!!.
You could run some kind of duct to it. I wouldn't really worry about it. Too bad the PT didn't get a hood scoop like the SRT-4. The scoop runs right to the turbo and cools it.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Aug 2009, 11:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Driving a turbo'd engine hard will cause the exhaust pressure side to "glow". The only thing to do is to allow it to cool internally. DO NOT shutdown the engine immedately after very heavy-hard driving. Make sure you are running synthetic oil and use a type of Redline Water-Wetter (addition cooling additive).

The other thing to keep the heat from bleeding into the car or burning up the heat sheild is to invest in an upgraded heat sheild/wrap and a down tube wrap. That will keep the engine compartment cooler.

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 13 Jan 2010, 11:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Exhaust Heat Wrap Installation

This is just a example of the wrap that Wheelgarage is talking about!! Good luck!!
Old 13 Jan 2010, 01:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I wouldn't wrap the turbo. It needs to cool of or you'll really coke up the oil. After some hard use at night the turbo will glow bright red.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 14 Jan 2010, 03:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with Mean Green on this one, I personally wouldn't wrap it.. the heat needs to dissipate from the turbo..

I know running lean will also result in heating up your turbo, but you didn't mention tweaking a/f ratios, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Old 27 Jan 2010, 03:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just to be aware, the turbo will also glow if the exhaust system has a blockage in it and it doesn't flow right.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come