PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pin hole leak at turbo's coolant line

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2009, 12:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default pin hole leak at turbo's coolant line

hi all -

i smelled coolant all day today while running errands. i kept thinking it was the car in front of me.

when i got home this evening i discovered a pin hole leak at the rubber hose portion of a small coolant line - the one that leads directly to the turbo. it was a tiny, tiny pulsing mist. the rubber hose section of this turbo's coolant line is just to the left of the airbox. it's in very close proximity to the coolant sensor (i think it's the coolant sensor). i had to remove the airbox to get to this hose.

the hose that had the leak, is one of those crocked "S" pre-shaped hoses (my guess - a dealer-only item - $$$$).

anyway, if this happens to YOU --- save a few bucks and do it yourself.

Replace the fancy-pants stock hose with a 3/8 ID, 1/2" OD fuel line, cut it to size (make sure it does not kink), and reuse the existing factory quick clamps. add a few splashes of 50/50 coolant to the coolant recovery bottle.
there, you just save $900 dollars that the dealer would have charged you
Old 21 Aug 2009, 12:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: pin hole leak at turbo's coolant line

I personally do not have a turbo version, but have experience with turbo systems. My past turbo's always ran a braided line into and out of the turbo.

Either replace it with the original or upgrade it with a coolant specific SS braided line. Also, sleeve it with a heat resistant tube or wrap. The turbo can get excesively hot, so protection is key for longevity.

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...