Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
"Wet" Plugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2009, 10:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Cool "Wet" Plugs

2003 Turbo with 87,000 miles on it. 27,000 miles since last plug change. Removed the plugs this morning to install new plugs...threads on 2 were covered with oil. Threads on one were dry on the tip half but "wet" on the top half. Threads on the 4th plug were dry. Does this mean anything?
Thanks!
Bill

P.S. The oil(?) is *only* on the threads...nothing on the tips or electrodes.

Last edited by BB; 24 Aug 2009 at 12:17 pm.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 05:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: "Wet" Plugs

If the PT's have individual seals for each plug hole (where the cover meets the head), those could be leaking. I'm guessing here...never experienced this with a PT yet.

But, I did have similar issues with other DOHC engines....

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 24 Aug 2009, 06:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

If oil's on your plugs, it typically should be seen on the tips as well.

Have you personally done all the work on your car? Sure it's not just crappy dielectric grease?

Alternatively, have you checked your PCV valve? Oil in your combustion chambers could be the result of a plugged PCV valve causing an increase in crankcase pressure, pushing oil past your rings.. If your PCV valve is functioning properly, you could have one or more worn piston rings or could be your valves.. best thing to do is a compression check to rule either of those out.

Old 24 Aug 2009, 08:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
If oil's on your plugs, it typically should be seen on the tips as well.

Have you personally done all the work on your car? Sure it's not just crappy dielectric grease?

Just the easy stuff! Hadn't thought of that!! Maybe that's all it is since the tips are clean.

Alternatively, have you checked your PCV valve? Oil in your combustion chambers could be the result of a plugged PCV valve causing an increase in crankcase pressure, pushing oil past your rings.. If your PCV valve is functioning properly, you could have one or more worn piston rings or could be your valves.. best thing to do is a compression check to rule either of those out.
Yeah...I'll have to check the PCV valve...maybe find someone to do a comp test too. I'm hoping it's just the grease!
Thanks!
Bill
Old 24 Aug 2009, 08:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgarage View Post
If the PT's have individual seals for each plug hole (where the cover meets the head), those could be leaking. I'm guessing here...never experienced this with a PT yet.

Not positive but I think there are individual seals. Hmmm...more research needed...

But, I did have similar issues with other DOHC engines....
Thanks!
Bill
Old 26 Aug 2009, 03:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

it could possibaly be a worn spark plug gasket on the valve cover. oil could just be seeping through and down the tube and as you unthread the plug oil is getting on the plug.

Look down the plug hole and if there is oil then that may be the problem. if you buy a new valve cover gasket you will see 4 circle gaskets, one for each hole. the gasket is easy to replace.

EDIT:
Felpro Valve Cover Gasket Set Dodge Neon SRT-4

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge

Last edited by nevinsrt; 26 Aug 2009 at 03:48 pm.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 08:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same problem with my 04 turbo, it turned out to be the seals in the valve cover where the spark plugs go in. The oil leaks from the valve cover into the spark plug. I'm willing to bet that it stalls on a foggy morning. Just get a valve cover gasket kit. Make sure you know the engine vin number. Godd luck.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 07:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinsrt View Post
it could possibaly be a worn spark plug gasket on the valve cover. oil could just be seeping through and down the tube and as you unthread the plug oil is getting on the plug.

Look down the plug hole and if there is oil then that may be the problem. if you buy a new valve cover gasket you will see 4 circle gaskets, one for each hole. the gasket is easy to replace.

EDIT:
Felpro Valve Cover Gasket Set Dodge Neon SRT-4
That's my bet as well.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Oct 2009, 03:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

VS50459R by felpro. run ya about 26.00
if you need R&R instructions pm me as i have an alldata account.
available at any auto parts store.

Last edited by Taggert_LOA; 31 Oct 2009 at 03:27 pm.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB View Post
2003 Turbo with 87,000 miles on it. 27,000 miles since last plug change. Removed the plugs this morning to install new plugs...threads on 2 were covered with oil. Threads on one were dry on the tip half but "wet" on the top half. Threads on the 4th plug were dry. Does this mean anything?
Thanks!
Bill

P.S. The oil(?) is *only* on the threads...nothing on the tips or electrodes.
ya know.. my 07 base just rolled over 92,000 miles and it started acting a little squirrely.. about a month ago the camshaft position sensor went AGAIN.. replaced that on my own.. found the one the last mechanic put on to be some cheap generic piece of junk. well afterwards.. car was fine for a week or so.. then started getting squirrely again.. i waited for it to finally pop an error code and took it down to advance auto.. they pulled it.. cylinder 4 misfire. well.. when all else fails.. and it's been a few years and 20,000 miles since your last tune up.. change the plugs lol.. so.. ordered some bosch iridium fine wire plugs.. while under the hood.. found the wires to be brittle as could be (were supposedly replaced by the last mechanic almost 2 years ago) and factory wires.. so a set of bosch premium wires and just to make sure nothing else could go obviously or easily stupid w/ the ignition setup .. i tossed in a Borg Werner ignition coil too.. long and short of the story is.. when i originally pulled the last set of plugs from the car.. i found them in exactly this condition.. after a lot of checking around.. found out the last mechanic to work on the car.. never even bothered to use dielectric grease or antiseize.. instead.. substituted w/ motor oil for the anti-seize and didn't even bother w/ dielectric grease. after a good thorough clean up job and a good 30m of cussing - everything was cleaned up.. new plugs installed PROPERLY, wires, and coil. checked a week later for any sign of oil.. nada.. apparently i just got the 1 jack@$$ mechanic who didn't want to do the job properly. so in my instance, it was a concern but turned out to be nothing. it wouldn't surprise me if the same happened w/ you considering the stunt my last mechanic pulled - seems to be very common.