PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2009, 08:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Turbo Question

*total noob question alert*

I recently purchased a used '03 GT 5spd. I read somewhere that turbos need to 'idle down' before you kill the engine, especially after hard driving. What kinda time are we talking for a PT, and how hard do you have to run it to require this?

'00 Jeep Wrangler Sport: 2" BDS lift and swaybar disconnects, 32" BFG a/t's on Eagle 10-hole wheels. Fabtech front bumper, K&N cold air intake.

'03 PT Cruiser GT 5spd: removed muffler and airbox silencer future planned mods are K&N typhoon intake, 2" rear lowering springs, hopefully some kind of old skool mag style wheels, and possibly at least a stage 1 turbo upgrade. Oh and i GOTTA get rid of those $#@!'in flame decals!
Old 24 Aug 2009, 09:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by grungerockjeeper View Post
*total noob question alert*

I recently purchased a used '03 GT 5spd. I read somewhere that turbos need to 'idle down' before you kill the engine, especially after hard driving. What kinda time are we talking for a PT, and how hard do you have to run it to require this?
Running it hard, freeway driving or towing you need to keep it running and cool it down a few minutes. The manual specifies the exact time needed. Normal driving needs no cool down. After hard driving and then going to normal driving for a few minutes or longer constitutes cooling down time.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 24 Aug 2009, 09:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When I've run mine hard, which is quite often, I get off a the exit 2 miles from my house instead of the one down the street, then I baby it home.

Think of it like walking a horse after running it, you have to let it catch it's breath and get the lather down before stabling it or you can cause all kinds of troubles. I drive from Atlanta to my house, a little over 4 hours, and about 3 miles before home I slow down and drive like a human, by the time I'm home it's good to go.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 10:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
When I've run mine hard, which is quite often, I get off a the exit 2 miles from my house instead of the one down the street, then I baby it home.

Think of it like walking a horse after running it, you have to let it catch it's breath and get the lather down before stabling it or you can cause all kinds of troubles. I drive from Atlanta to my house, a little over 4 hours, and about 3 miles before home I slow down and drive like a human, by the time I'm home it's good to go.
Good plan.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 25 Aug 2009, 03:16 am
Young Cruiser

Ok cool. So if Im hauling it on the way to work, I just need to get out of it a bit before I get there to let it rest up. Makes sense. And I gotta tell you, the good info flows like wine on this forum. You guys rock!

'00 Jeep Wrangler Sport: 2" BDS lift and swaybar disconnects, 32" BFG a/t's on Eagle 10-hole wheels. Fabtech front bumper, K&N cold air intake.

'03 PT Cruiser GT 5spd: removed muffler and airbox silencer future planned mods are K&N typhoon intake, 2" rear lowering springs, hopefully some kind of old skool mag style wheels, and possibly at least a stage 1 turbo upgrade. Oh and i GOTTA get rid of those $#@!'in flame decals!
Old 25 Aug 2009, 05:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

And put synthetic oil in that engine!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Aug 2009, 03:20 pm
Young Cruiser

any recommendations on oil brands? Ive been a fan of Castrol for many years, although Pennzoil is a good choice also. Im definitely gonna grab a bottle of slick 50 since Ive used that in all my jeeps, works great.

Old 25 Aug 2009, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think any name brand full synthetic is fine.
I'd stay away from "blends" - I have never seen what % of a "blend" is synthetic - 2 drops?
Old 26 Aug 2009, 09:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post

Don't ride'r hard and put'er away wet!
Old 26 Aug 2009, 03:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

hahaha my cool down time on both cars is waiting for the light to turn green so i can turn on base, sit and wait for the guard to look at my ID and ask about the car, drive 3/4mi at posted speed of 15mph. takes me about 4-6mins

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge