Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Blown Turbo???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2009, 04:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Blown Turbo???

I posted a bit ago about losing power in my 05 PT Covertible, 55,000 miles. Had to take the car in today because the piston on the caliper got stuck on the right rear wheel and burned up the pads. Had to replace the rotors too today. $700

Asked the tire guy to see if he could figure out why the car had no pep. When he opend the air filter box it had oil all over the bottom inside the box. He thinks it's a blown turbo.

I called the dealer. $99 for diagnostic, don't know yet if Chrysler will cover the repair. If it's the turbo, he'll need the car for 3 days. Anyone else been through this? Could it just be a part that's faulty and not the whole thing?
Old 25 Aug 2009, 07:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Blown Turbo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimisMom View Post
I posted a bit ago about losing power in my 05 PT Covertible, 55,000 miles. Had to take the car in today because the piston on the caliper got stuck on the right rear wheel and burned up the pads. Had to replace the rotors too today. $700

Asked the tire guy to see if he could figure out why the car had no pep. When he opend the air filter box it had oil all over the bottom inside the box. He thinks it's a blown turbo.

I called the dealer. $99 for diagnostic, don't know yet if Chrysler will cover the repair. If it's the turbo, he'll need the car for 3 days. Anyone else been through this? Could it just be a part that's faulty and not the whole thing?
Oil in the airbox is normal. The tire guy is way off base. Have you checked all of the vacuum lines and intercooler hoses for leaks? Especially if the intercooler hose(s) are leaking you will lose boost badly and it will feel like you have no turbo at all. All of the vacuum lines should be zip tied and the intercooler hoses should have t-bolt clamps on them. The stock worm drive clamps suck and have been known to loosen causing leak(s). If you are unable have someone else do this. It's easy to do and you don't need a whole lot of mechanical sense to do this, but do this first before going to a shop. It's not unusual for a turbo car to leak boost, even brand new from the factory.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 25 Aug 2009, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you don't use synthetic oil, you should.
Not likely it's the turbo. Agree w/MeanGreen - find a mechanic and have him look at it - unless you feel you have a good dealer...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Aug 2009, 07:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Oil in the airbox is normal. The tire guy is way off base. Have you checked all of the vacuum lines and intercooler hoses for leaks? Especially if the intercooler hose(s) are leaking you will lose boost badly and it will feel like you have no turbo at all. All of the vacuum lines should be zip tied and the intercooler hoses should have t-bolt clamps on them. The stock worm drive clamps suck and have been known to loosen causing leak(s). If you are unable have someone else do this. It's easy to do and you don't need a whole lot of mechanical sense to do this, but do this first before going to a shop. It's not unusual for a turbo car to leak boost, even brand new from the factory.
Thanks, Mean Green. I'm going to print out your response and take it to my local garage today. Don't like the Chrysler dealer down here. Not enough competitive dealers down here to keep these guys sharp and prices down.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 07:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
If you don't use synthetic oil, you should.
Not likely it's the turbo. Agree w/MeanGreen - find a mechanic and have him look at it - unless you feel you have a good dealer...
Thanks QuickSilverDon. I've been using synthetic oil ever since I moved to FLA. Thought it would help the engine last longer. I hope that's true and I hope that it's just a blown hose.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 09:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

It could still be the turbo. I have seen them lock up of wear out. Typically from lack of maintenance. I had one PT awhile back that had no power. After checking it out I found the turbo had approx 1/2 play up and down. Car had 24,000 miles on it. Still had the FACTORY INSTALLED oil filter! HMMMMMM... wonder what caused the failure? Just an example. Not implying anything.
Is the check engine light on? How bad is the power loss? Slight or massive?
Some oil is normal. A mist or some small drops ok. It it's dripping out or has puddles of oil that's not good.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
It could still be the turbo. I have seen them lock up of wear out. Typically from lack of maintenance. I had one PT awhile back that had no power. After checking it out I found the turbo had approx 1/2 play up and down. Car had 24,000 miles on it. Still had the FACTORY INSTALLED oil filter! HMMMMMM... wonder what caused the failure? Just an example. Not implying anything.
Is the check engine light on? How bad is the power loss? Slight or massive?
Some oil is normal. A mist or some small drops ok. It it's dripping out or has puddles of oil that's not good.
Slartyblarfast,

I have the synthetic oil and take the car in when recommended. I have them change the air filter everytime I change the oil, because it can be a bit dusty in FLA at times. I'm still driving okay with enough power, but just don't have the boost and it goes through gas faster than before. No engine lights, no smoke, no puddles or really anything on the floor.