PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Newbie to site...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2009, 08:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Newbie to site...

Hi,
New to site with a couple of questions. My mother decided to buy herself an 80th birthday gift back in April, an '06 PT Cruiser GT Turbo. It has the autostick transmission and is loaded. The car had 24K on it when purchased, now 26K. My only concern so far is the tranny. It shifts great(firm) when your into it but very smooth 1st to 2nd under normal driving. Is this normal? Also, is there anything I should keep and eye out for?
Thanks for your answers!
Old 29 Aug 2009, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Newbie to site...

Welcome to both you and your mom to the Forum.

If you haven't already, change plugs & wires, at 30K you should have a tranny flushed, not just drained.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 Aug 2009, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is currently stock except for fluids. Are these known for eating plugs? I've seen a couple of posts. It needs a new air filter element so I was going with a K&N unless someone has a better recommendation. I'll have the trans fluid changed/flushed ASAP. Do you guys use any additives? I've had good luck with the Lucas products in my 727's.
Thanks again!
Old 29 Aug 2009, 01:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can use stock plugs but get any wires other than stock, stock wires are known to break down quickly. As long as you are doing the wires, do the plugs as well, use the "Sticky" posted in the performance section. Remember this is a sticky for a non-turbo so your car may be a different set up. You will NOT have a EGR valve. Plugs (if I remember right) are to be .032 to .035 gap.

Unless you are having a problem with the tranny, don't use a additive.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 Aug 2009, 08:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CYCLONE_06 Send a message via Yahoo to CYCLONE_06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
You can use stock plugs but get any wires other than stock, stock wires are known to break down quickly. As long as you are doing the wires, do the plugs as well, use the "Sticky" posted in the performance section. Remember this is a sticky for a non-turbo so your car may be a different set up. You will NOT have a EGR valve. Plugs (if I remember right) are to be .032 to .035 gap.

Yea, I put some NAPA silicone wires on, they have a lifetime warranty. I also just changed my plugs to NGK 2315s and I originally had them gapped at .035 but then I added AMX hard pipes which gives more boost... so, I had to lower the gap because the spark was getting blown off the plug at 5500 rpms. It was hesitating, like a miss, then it would keep going. Lowered the gap and now it runs like a champ.

Make sure if you get the tranny flushed, they put ATF+4 in there. K&N is a good filter. You can take it out, soak it in degreaser, blow it dry with an air compressor and keep using it over and over.

~CYCLONE_06

"It's been said winning isn't everything... Just not by me."
--Mark Martin
Old 29 Aug 2009, 11:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post

Agree. Be sure where you take it has a flushing machine and be sure they use ATF + 4 only.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Aug 2009, 12:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cathy06PT

Welcome

Enjoy the forum!