Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stop Turbo from turning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2009, 09:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stop Turbo from turning?

My 04 Turbo is making a racket and I will be changing it soon. How do you stop it from working so it doesn't cause more damage? It will be a couple of weeks before I can work on it and I need to drive it until it can be repaired.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 04:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Stop Turbo from turning?

stop driving the car now! That racket you hear is the turbine hitting the houseing and probably sending chunks of turbine into your engine. If it lets go all together you will (and might already) need a new engine. You can't really stop the turbine from spinning. That is how the engine gets air wether it is boosting or not it still spins to let air into the engine.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 15 Sep 2009, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oi vey! Do not drive that thing with the turbine flopping around. We just spent the day chasing down parts and pieces of a turbo that went all the way through to the oil pan!! No sh#t! A piece fo shrapnel got caught under one intake valve, the valve popped off and shredded, bounced around on top of the piston and wrecked the head!!! As my friend Jon said, "It's fugly!". Dude, you're going to cannonball that engine....
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Disconnect the ucp and put a filter on the tb... It will turn still but you wont kill the motor... You'll trash the manifold but who needs that
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 16 Sep 2009, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTank View Post
Disconnect the ucp and put a filter on the tb... It will turn still but you wont kill the motor... You'll trash the manifold but who needs that
Good idea - but why would it trash the manifold?
Turbo would still turn, but couldn't blow it's parts into intake. Bet car would be real slow....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 16 Sep 2009 at 06:59 am.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 07:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

WOW!! I had no clue. The Turbo will start when I crank the engine and rattle a bit and then sounds like it hits hard and locks up. It does this every time I start the engine. I will definitely work on it this week end. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you used synthetic oil? If not, when you get it fixed, put synthetic in that puppy....
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Have you used synthetic oil? If not, when you get it fixed, put synthetic in that puppy....
Yep. That's one thing I'm definitely going to do. I will be changing my spark plugs and wires too while I have it apart. I believe that's where my problem came from. I've always changed oil every 3000 but used reg motor oil. I had no clue that synthetic made such a difference when it comes to Turbo's. I'm reading and learning a lot here and a big thanks to all that give a helping hand.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 12:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Update:
Thanks for the help.
I kinda know how the BOV works and so I'm going to blow off a bit!
I took the Turbo off and was almost too late. The turbine shaft broke on the intake side. Turbine was flopping around. Nut was completely off the shaft. On the exhaust side, the Turbine broke off and lodged in the manifold. I was lucky. Nothing went into the intake. I bought a Turbo and manifold off ebay. The guy said it had only been used for 3 months on his car and was just like new. It did not look that way when I received it. It looked like it had been sitting out in the weather for some time. There was very little shaft play. I figured this was normal. I spun it a few times and it made no noises. I took my oil lines off and cleaned them out. There were no sludge or were not stopped up. I figured while I have the intake off, I went ahead and changed the spark plugs(NGK) and wires(autolite). Changed to synthetic oil (Mobile1) Got her all back together and started it right up. The Turbo was making a loud whining noise like it was running too fast. I turned it off and did a boost leak test. Checked out OK. Cranked it back up and the whining was still there. Drove it about two miles and the whining turned into clunking and locking up just like the original did. Took the Turbo back off and it had a lot of play and the turbine was scraping the intake housing. What could make this Turbo go bad so quick other than the guy selling me a bad Turbo?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 09:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I cannot think of anything else than it can't be getting oil... I know you said you cleaned the lines....
If you have no other clues, try PTCrew.Com - lotsa turbo gurus there...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles