Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Transplant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2009, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Transplant

I just acquired a 2004 or 05(not sure)2.4L Turbo engine with everything included - computer, wiring and etc. I am thinking about installing it in a mid sixties Austin Healey sports car if I can get it in the engine bay - it will be a tight squeeze on height and width.

You might ask why this motor, because most healeys with engine transplants have ford 289s or other small block V-8s. Well in this case I am looking for a mid 200 HP motor that will be environmentally friendly (CAT), EFI, to make a daily driver - not a high performance car. Although if I can push it closer to 300 hp then I might pursue that goal. I got this motor at a very very good price and it has only 14,000 miles on it. I am well versed in the engine mechanics of vintage british 6 cylinder motors, but no absolutely nothing about newer computer controlled motors. so I have a lot to learn!!!

My questions are these:
Anyone have any experience in using this motor with rear wheel drive and another transmission? Or can you point me to another thread that discusses this as a possibility?

What books are recommended to learn about this powerplant?

I obviously will not be using the motor with a transverse mounting. Anyone have any tips on engine mounts for this thing if running in a traditional front/rear configuration?

What lift points are recommended for picking this thing up with an engine lift?

Performance parts shops recommended?

Thanks. that is a start. I am sure that I will have many more questions.

LHR
Old 13 Sep 2009, 07:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Transplant

Very interesting idea! There are going to be some issues though.... Biggest issue is going to be transmission. That I know of the 42re automatic transmission is going to be about your only bet. Now that's just staying in the Mopar family. There may be aftermarket suppliers that have adaptors for other transmissions. Is your engine out of an automatic or manual. Look at the PCM and see if it has 3 or 4 connectors in it. If it's 3 then you have a manual trans engine. If it has 4 then it's an auto trans pcm. If it's an auto then you are going to be very limited. You would need a 42re from a Liberty or maybe a truck with a v-6. And then only if the transmission does not variable line pressure.
I love the idea though. You should get really good performance with this combo. The turbo is good for about 230 horses stock which in a 1500 to 1800 lb car should make for a lot of fun.
One more issue is the speedometer. The pcm has to communicate with the cluster to run the speedo. If it doesn't see the cluster it causes problems. Also SKIM is a problem. It's the security feature that needs the big grey keys. No SKIM... No run.
As for motor mounts... You might look at mounts for a Liberty or a Wrangler with the 2.4 engine.
Let me know if you have more questions. I am a Level 3 Chrysler technician with 7 yrs experience.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Slartyblarfast,
Thanks for the response! If you can find some better engine identification info for me that would be great. I am trying to pin down the engine year for part ordering later. The engine was mated with a manual transmission.

I am planning on using a Toyota Supra 5 speed. I have the gearbox and have not yet tried mounting it to the engine, but I have heard from others that it will work without an adapter plate. Next weekend I will give it a try. Too much work to do this week I am afraid.

I will have to explore the speedo issue and the SKIM some more for sure. Any thoughts you have on work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

The standard output on the Healey six cylinder was 148 in 1967. 230 should make a 2300 lb car scoot. Although as I said in my post I am looking at this project to make a Healey into a modern and comfortable daily driver. I have a performance enhanced 1960 Austin Healey with original motor and would not sell or trade it for the world, but I would not want to drive it to work everyday.

I would like to get the motor mounted in the frame and get it running as is, and will then think about performance enhancers later. Great tip on the Liberty or Wrangler. Did they use the same 2.4 engine as in the PT Cruiser?

Any tips on workshop manuals, parts books and etc on the 2.4L turbo?

Thanks,

Lin
Old 14 Sep 2009, 06:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Very interesting.
The 2.4 engine ought to be lighter than the six was, as well.
Several auto used the same basic 2.4 - Stratus, even some mini-vans, but only Liberty and Wrangler weren't front drive. As far as I know, only the Neon & PT had the 2.4 turboed, but that shouldn't matter as mounts were the same.
Does yours have a cast aluminm intake? Then it's either an '04 or early '05 - they went to a plastic intake (which is actually better, more HP) in '05.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Sep 2009, 07:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Excellent! Thanks to all respondents. We are narrowing things down now. I have a plastic intake. So I am at least a 2005?

Yes the four will be lighter. The Healey engine with stock gearbox was a little over 900 lbs. A big hunk of iron!

Lin
Old 14 Sep 2009, 09:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would say you probably have an 05 engine. With it being a manual trans engine that helps A LOT. That makes getting a speed signal a lot easier. Biggest issue is going to be getting the speed signal from the Toyota sensor to talk Mopar. That part I don't know if I can do much there.
I think there are plenty of work arounds ahead but I don't think impossible. Just pretty difficult.