PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 NOPI Nationals,Mopar,BFG, & Hot Trashy Women!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2003, 12:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default 2003 NOPI Nationals,Mopar,BFG, & Hot Trashy Women!

Well, I worked my 3rd NOPI Natioanls at atlanta Motor Speedway this past weekend. I was really disappointed that there were really very few PTs there, and even fewer Turbos.
Mopar had their big semi there, which was their first year at this event.They had their whole 'Mopar Speedshop' theme going on and I was very impressed.Really neat displays including a cut-away of the SRT motor, and working demos of a CNC machine, as well as lots of video screens covering virtually every aspect of the SRT-4.They had two on display in their booth, a Solar Yellow car, and a Silver car, both modified.
I was able to finally meet UniqTwin as well.For those that don't know, she works for Mopar. I was very very pleased with not only her knowledge of the market and product, but also with her ability to talk with anyone there, no matter who it was, and give them her personal attention for as long as it took.Some people had questions to which she wrote down their e-mail address and promised a direct response the next time she was in her office.I have to tell you, just by talking with her for a bit, there is *no-one* at Mopar, bar-none, that is more dedicated to doing everything they can for the consumer, and to give the people what they want.If there's a way, I bet she'll find it, no matter what the question is.Of course, it doesn't hurt that she was really good looking too, lol!
At any rate, one thing that was noticeably missing from any conversations with her, and pleasantly so, was any reference to doing anything based on what the 'bottom-line' was.That obviously has to come into play in what they do at Mopar, but unlike many or most companies of that size, I don't think that it is their driving force.
I also checked out the BF Goodrich display which was in the front parking lot. BFG had a nice AutoX-Style course layed out with orange cones, and they had several cars there, including two SRT-4s.They also had two each of the Lexus IS-300, Jetta IV 1.8T, and Nissan 350Z.The SRT-4 was the only one with a manual as that's the only way it came, and the cool part was that you could drive them as hard as you wanted! You would drive the first car with the competitor's tire, then the second with theirs.in the case of the SRT-4, the competitor was some type of Kumho, while the BFG was the G-Force KDW (I think), which is the OE tire on that car.
I was so excited ot finally get to drive one of these, and twice! The first trip in the Kumho car, it became obvious *very* quickly that the car is in desperate need of a limited slip diff.We were only able to get up to 2nd gear on the course, but the car would boil the tires with ease, especially since UniqTwin had sent over a couple of Stage I kits and had them installed the night before. Then I ran the BFG car and it did handle much better, but still had a traction problem due to the diff.I ended up taking out a whole family of cones on the last turn which was kind of like a little chykane straight where I got too happy.All in all, my impression of the SRT-4 and the Stage I kit was *AWESOME*! I think improvements to the car could only be a lower center of gravity, including leveling the rear to improve handling, and a limited slip diff.At any rate, I was stoked.
The rest of NOPI was...........well it was basic NOPI.You had lots of people, mostly young punks, who think that adding the crappiest gaudiest **** on their cars makes them cool and even fast.I will say there were a bunch of true hard-core racers there as well, and I commend them for giving a legitimate face to the rest of the Sport Compact lifestyle.I *WISH* I had the resources to get into the NOPI racing series in a competitive way. I really think that cars like ours are either represented on a very limited basis, or not at all.I am just not in a $$ position to do it now after my wreck back in April in my Series I.
Oh, there was a guy there with a Series 2 Dream Cruiser, which had a few neat things, but he had chrome door pillars on it, and some other chrome stuff, as well as chrome spinner wheels.I think they were 18".honestly, they loo
Old 22 Sep 2003, 12:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PK Cruiser

damn...I wanted to attend but forgot all about the damn thing...oh well...that happens when your girfriend dumps you a couple nights before...anyways...glad it was a good show...guess I'll have to wait until next year.....

\'03 Black Turbo, Autostick, Removed Intake Silencers, K&N Drop in Filter, MOPAR BOV, Eibach Springs, Kenwood CD/MP3 Player & amp, 12 inch Sub...soon to be a member of the Stage I club...